My Study pack + Meyers??

Discussion in 'A+' started by Weemez, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Was just wondering if there was anybody out there who is doing home study with a learning provider and have purchased the very popular Mike Meyers A+ All in One book aswell. Has it been of extra benifit or has the learning provider coursework been enough?

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I found the Meyers book to be quite helpful. For me, I needed the extra support of a class because I had absolutely *no* prior experience with PC hardware or OS management. I didn't know I/O from IRQ. I tend to learn best in an organized setting. I'm at the point now where it's easier for me to pick up a book and self-study than it once was. It depends on how comfortable you are with the material. I initially bought the Meyers book (an earlier edition) and tried to self study, but without a context and prior experience, I couldn't make heads or tails of it. It might be different in your case. The only thing I can suggest is for you to buy the book and give it a shot. That should tell you which direction to go.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

I'm doing my course through a training provider.They supply student doing the A+ with the Sybex A+ Complete book,and some interactive online material.
    The only other material i used while studying for the A+ was to use the web for some useful info.

The training provider issued 3 mock exams throughout the study period, once these were successfully passed you were invited to do some in-house training for 5 days,gaining hands on experiance and getting your hands dirty inside a computer,reinforcing your knowledge of the study material,and then taking the exams in that 5 day period.

As trip has said though all depends on your knowledge of computers as to what study materials will be suit you.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  4. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

My experiecne is two years in college but that covered many computing subjects e.g. programming yuk!, systems dev and so on, not as much as would have liked in this area but a decent bit on DOS and Linux command line and a bit of computer architecture. Think i will purchase it anyway as i read in another thread in here that it is very good for reference in the future rather than carrying a boxload of folders around with me! Altough i think i might need a trolley for this baby from what i have read!

Thanks for the input guys!

5. Inqueision

Inqueision Bit Poster

weemaz, im currently doing my A+ but as self study as i already have a diploma in I.T but doesnt seem to be good enough for the foot in the door so here i am startin off with the basics and building up, im finding it easy to understand and learning new material as i have a grasp of computing neway so i guess thats my advantage

good luck to ya

Dave

WIP: A+ & Network+ now, not mcse (yet)
  6. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Cheers Dave, and to you too!
    I've found that myself, a good cert and hands on experience is the way forward!