My son's laptop is evil

Discussion in 'Networks' started by tripwire45, Feb 6, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Last week, IE refused to open. Now it's opening fine...but he can't connect wirelessly. He's not getting an IP addy dynamically from the DSL modem. I can put in a manual addy and then he connects to the home LAN wirelessly. I had to fiddle around to get this to work but it does.

I put in the modem as the first DNS server and then my ISP's two DNS servers as 2nd and 3rd. I can ping the LAN computers by hostmane and IP and I can ping Internet hosts by IP...but hostnames won't resolve. I tested the connection on my personal laptop and I have no problems whatsoever.

I've tried everything I can think of but all I'm getting is a headache. Any ideas?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

As always, a long shot, Trip, but here goes ...(pinched from an article I was preparing)

Have you checked the hosts file for any devious re-directions that may have infiltrated the machine ?

x:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc, then open hosts. A normal clean file will look like the following:

Code:
     # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    #	 102.54.94.97	 rhino.acme.com		 # source server
    #	 38.25.63.10	 x.acme.com			 # x client host
    127.0.0.1	 localhost

Hash (#) out any lines other than these (exclude any entries you may have added manually) and save the file.

You never know - may help, Trip

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sorry, Gav. No issue with the hosts file...it's completely normal.

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

strangly enough my laptop has had that exact same problem with wireless going down the spout. I got that cheesed off I wiped my laptop and started again for the same thing to happen...Doh

Anyways when I assign a static IP it kicks into life and then I can remove the static IP to DHCP and it works...The wonderful world of IT...:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

My problem is that DNS seems to be broken. I can get out to the web using the IP addy but not the domain name. I've got both the DSL modem and my ISP's DNS server addy's configured statically on his laptop and that should do it.

Help! :blink

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

have you tried changing the order round so that the ISPs DNS addies are the primary ones rather than the home network?, what was the outcome of this?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I tried putting the two DNS servers on the web in and not the IP of the modem with no effect. I have not tried putting the two DNS server's addys first and the modems last, tho.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Trip, what information does the ADSL modem usually issue to clients, apart from the IP address?

If you do an ipconfig /all on a machine (your laptop) you will see all the info dished out.

*default gateway
    *subnet mask
    *prefered DNS server
    *alternate DNS server

It clearly is a DNS issue and I would suspect that the modem is not acting as a DNS proxy for client requests. Try removing the modems IP from the DNS settings in the manual client configuration but make sure the modem's IP is set as the default gateway!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Done. No dice. He's been plagued by viruses periodically (teenagers!) and I suspect some necessary file or library has been deleted or corrupted. Any thoughts?

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

do you get any problems when booting into safe mode with networking?

you shouldnt do
    and if you dont, i doubt its a missing file, as safe mode verbosley checks each file during boot
    however there could still be some remnants of spyware disabling/breaking the file when you boot into full mode

try run your spyware/adware from safe mode and see if they find anything else

also is backing up and scratching it a problem? as i advise that after any major spyware/virii attack

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Got it sorted. I never had time to work on his computer at home so I brought it to work. Notice that the same error message came up after the desktop loaded, not being able to load newdotnet~2.DLL. I decided to do a search of both my laptop and his for the DLL. Mine didn't contain it and although his didn't either, it did have a newdotnet read me file.

Turns out it's some sort of browser extension that allows name resolution for the newer domain name extensions such as .shop, .biz, etc. I uninstalled whatever was left of it and his computer picked up an IP from DHCP almost instantly including DNS servers. Somehow, this program got corrupted and screwed up DHCP and DNS on his laptop.

I've since been busy updating the virus and adware defs for his various anti-bug apps and updating his MS critical updates. Haven't found any new critters in my scans which is good. Maybe he'll take better care of his computer now. If not, I'll strip all of the protective software out of it and expose it to every virus I can get my hands on...just to teach him. :twisted:

jk :D

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good fix Trip - nice work [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity