My situation and a CV Appraisal pls..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by force1, Oct 22, 2010.

1. force1

force1 Bit Poster

Hi

I would like feedback on my cv, just to explain the gap from Sept 2008 until now, I got ill and made the decision to quit work, to take time out, did some home renovations and some travelling. I’ve put my CV on the internet Jan 2010 and so far have had 4 interviews, 1 successful, company A on my CV attached. I applied to company A directly. So the deal here is I am put on a 12 month waiting list and any jobs that arise I would be contacted. (it was advertised this way) it’s a well know establishment so I have no doubts about the way they are recruiting. (healthwise i'm back to 100%, signed off by my consultant, just checkups yearly now)

That was Sept and I am still looking for work. Not going to wait around on a waiting list as something may not even come up. I have asked them and they did say nothing yet and as soon as a position becomes available, they’ll be in touch. In the meantime I have bought the MCITP MS books and am ready to book the exam for the 70-647 soon. Now I have the time, I might as well get some certs. All my experience has been hands on, but it’ll be nice now to complement it with something to show for it.

How does my CV look, I am not really getting much response. I know it’s probably because I have not worked since Sept 2008, hence the reason I am working towards certification, I also have a virtual lab at home so I am pretty up to date with technology. I know half the jobs advertised out there I can do, but I suppose pitching my CV against some who is currently employed and looking for the next challenge is going to be difficult. I have added in the role for company A in my CV, moreover to show that I do have something in the pipeline and have been successful in an interview. I would appreciate any advice on how my CV comes across generally and what I could change/add to increase my chances for interviews. At no point in the past interviews or conversations with agencies have I ever bought up the issue about my health. I believe that should be kept private and there’s no need to explain it.

Attached Files:

• CV.doc
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
    Certifications: 70-647
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, 70-643
  2. force1

force1 Bit Poster

anyone there??
    :blink

3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

A lot of "Support of"

Want to see what I have in list of skills: (this an old CV as it's all I have on my laptop right now, but it gives you an idea and it has been nothing but successful for me)

• Proven experience of problem and incident management.
    • Microsoft Office and Outlook products (2003, XP, 2007, 2008, 2010).
    • Network and server troubleshooting / maintenance.
    • Microsoft Windows XP, Vista and 7 deployment, configuration and support.
    • Windows Server 2003/2008/R2 Configuration and administration.
    • Windows Domain design, implementation and management.
    • Firewall (Sonicwall, Watchguard) and Application management.
    • Hyper V and Failover clustering partnered with System Center Tools.
    • Experienced in Remote Support (using RealVNC, WebEx, PcAnywhere, and Windows Remote Desktop).
    • Windows Deployment Services and System Rollouts.
    • Proven ability to troubleshoot software running on Windows operating systems.
    • Network preventive monitoring and management using System Centre Essentials 2007/2010
    • Sound understanding of ITILv3 standards (Event Management, CMS, Change Management Processes).
    • Quantifiable experience creating and implementing business continuity plans.
    • Network and IT Service Management, Support and Ownership experience.

now in contrast, here is yours:

• Support for Windows Servers 2003/2008
    • Support for BES servers
    • Testing various wireless configurations
    • Administration of Exchange servers 2007

See where you're going wrong? also, i'm concerned about this reserve list, if you're not doing any work, and you are not getting paid, then you don't have a job as far as I am concerned. Being on a waiting list seems like you sent your CV in and they just said "If anything comes up, we will call". This DOES NOT mean you have a job so take the bloody thing off. Get rid of Gender.

Apart from that, it's a list of bullet points of what you did, I would immediately just throw it away because of that;

Here is one 7 month job (because i don't have 10 years in IT so have to justify every job I have had at the moment)
    Now my CV is far from Perfect, a lot of it is padded out, riddled with key words, saturated with buzzwords and sound bites, but it accomplishes what it sets out to do, which is get me the interview. And whilst everything on it is true, we could avoid putting the above and just say "supported the IT".

I'm a firm believer in that you should always do more than just put "I did my job", you should highlight any positive change you pushed in and then what benefit the company previous gained by taking you on.

In all honesty, that school job was a jolly sitting around doing 3 hour days but for brief moments I did do some work and put in better practices which is what I highlighted. Don't spent time on the mundane day to day ****, put in the stand out stuff that makes you an asset mate.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's not bad - but it doesn't really tell us anything about you.
    It reads a bit like the system requirements off the back of the Windows packaging.

I'd agree with the current employment issue already raised - you're not working or getting paid and drawing attention to the fact that someone has promised to get in touch and then hasn't isn't the best of ideas.

I'd also put your name at the top - people don't need to be told it's a curriculum vitae - they know that. What they want to be able to do is identify you easily.

Do you do anything except for IT? I know your CV may be targeting IT roles, but you come across like a bit of a Dalek. Try putting some personal stuff in there. It's a bit too oriented around your previous jobs and they all read like job descriptions, rather than telling us what you actually contributed to the role.

But better than a lot that I've seen... Good luck.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. force1

force1 Bit Poster

some good points which i'll take on board, i think i'll need to overhaul my CV abit.