My services are required elsewhere

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Sep 18, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

now maybe someone is doing this a joke...but I just an email to my Gmail account from someone who has just created a forum called Winadmin asking me to join them...first of all did anyone else get this and also how in the world did this person get my Gmail address? is someone from this forum I wonder cos I havent given it out to anyone but you guys really...:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Not me, m8.

If it's a prob, I'd say block them straight away, without replying.

The last thing you want is a new email account being spammed already.IMHO

To be honest, I don't think anyone around CF would do anything like that to another member. If they did, I for one would act to stop it !

HTH.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

actually Jak...its legit...try checking it out yourself... winadmin.co.uk so far I am the first to make a post its just recently been launched and it looks good...but not as good as here tho...this will always be my home :iluvcf

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

as far as them getting your acc, if its posted on here at all its possible to use spiders to get it. and the big fat gif in ure sig is a big neon sign screaming for it to be spammed IMHO.

im not particularly impressed with a site that emails posters at another forum asking if they want to join. if they want people from this site to join theirs, they either ask Si for permission to plug the forum, or they wait for people to find it, and let word of mouth spread. spamming people whos contact details they get from unauthorised sources makes them no better than all the other spammers out there. its underhanded too, almost like its actively trying to steal people from other forums! (wether they are or not, thats the impression it gives).

as for the site, i have to say that i dont like the style, maybe ive been spoilt with certforums, but i find it a bit crude.

i dunno, im just not really sold on it to be honest.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thanks fergal..I might just not even bother with the site anymore...if someone has got my email that way then I dont think I should be on their site..

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I couldn't have said it better myself, thanks Fergal.

Noelg, that site is from a member here that did PM on Wednesday asking if they could affiliate with us but as of yet I have not responded due to other commitments. So its obvious that they have taken your gmail address from your signature here at CertForums and are tying to pouch the members from here. Don't worry about spiders picking up your address from here, spiders can only grab your address if it is in text format. Your gmail sig is an image so cant be grabbed by any spiders.

I'm a little annoyed that a member here would try to steal any members from this forum but I think that the above posts seem to say everything. I'll admit that when CertForums was very young I did try the same but I doesn't work. So all I can say is good luck the winadmin.co.uk and hope they start to grow in time.

Thanks for the support guys, its good to know were doing something right around here. :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I agree - I dont think one can complain too much if yer email is on clear display on your sig, but as for phishing, well bang out of order.

One reason I took my Gmail image out of my sig...

8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

The exat same reason I didn't ask Si to do me one. Perhaos I'm paranoid, but there you go. I seem to get an extreem amount of spam and to tell all and sundry your email addy seems just rigth daft to me.

IMHO

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I must add also that I'm pretty flattered that they like CertForums so much as to copy our privacy statement and used it for the site, OURS / THEIR'S. They also copied Tech Support Guy's Rules too. HERE :rolleyes:

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Poor show indeed, Si. Any action taken on the Member concerned ?

11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

bloody damn cheek :mad :mad :mad

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

jak. i suspected id seen that particular member and did a search for them. didnt find anything, so maybe si's removed them already, or maybe i was searching wrong. lol.

si, doesnt that at the very least constitute plagarism? i dont know how much this site is copyrighted, etc. but i would think you'd have some standing when a privacy statement is copied word for word, lol.

ps. its slooooooooooooooooooow too!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just took a look at the place and I must say I find it severely lacking in anything tasteful.

Happy here [​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

actually the very reason were using gif files and not text is so spiders cannot get our addresses
    notice alot of us post our addresses as user [at] blah [dotcom] and other such combinations
    thsi also hampers spiders

noel if you have ever posted your address in plain text on the forum, yoru vunerable

the gif will protect you for the most part from automated bots and crawlers, not from individual users, but the majority of spam addresses are collected from crawlers

saying that google spam filters are VERY good, perhaps it was a genuine invite

also i dont think si is going to jump down there throat for copying our privacy statement to be honest, as like he said, that is more flattery than it is a problem for us

if he started copying our themese there may be a problem
    but our privacy statement? i emplore us not to be so bloody petty, this is the net, and its very existence is based on the sharing and freedom of information, and the guy has been in contact with Si, granted for different reasons, but were not talking a blatant theft of intellectual property here

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just paid a visit and it does look horrible, and it looks like an invision board, and if it is I doubt Invision would like the idea of their copyright being removed from the bottom of the board.

It looks like the board has been slapped together in about 5 minutes.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Looking closer it looks like its an install of xoops