MY SELF-STUDY SCHEDULE (FOR A+)

Discussion in 'A+' started by ay5000, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ay5000

ay5000 Bit Poster

I hope to sit my exam for the A+ Certification next month, here is my schedule for preparing myself. Today I purchased CompTIA A+ Certification ALL IN ONE EXAM GUIDE Sixth Edition and I've read about 33 pages and so far it is fantastic! I have professional level computer repair, service and maintenance experience since the age of 12 (in my fathers very own computer business), I have been at it since the days of 286 with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11, in those days a 40mb hard-drive was something to be proud of. I have hands-on direct experience with assembling and repairing almost every kind of variety of computer you can imagine (including macs), up until about May 2007 when I started my current job role as a help desk assistant with a company of over 7,000 users. I want to diversify but mainly hope to branch in to networking and security, but have genuine experience for other fields if things don't go as planned :)

I haven't studied properly since 2003 but since my motivation levels are high I hope I will be able to stick to a disciplined routine to get the most of the time available. Just a note, I have to work around my full time job and time commitments to a wife and a 5 month baby :P

All advice and feedback will be warmly welcomed -- I will allow first 1-3 days to adjust to the most optimum routine then stick to it until the exam.

How I am going to study

1. I am going to start by reading the entire book from cover to cover.
    2. Take the practice exams and find out what my weak areas are.
    3. Go over my weak areas (through the book) learn the concepts and practice a lot.
    4. Check my progress by retaking practice exams.

Daily Schedule
    Mon-Fri: 2 hours minimum (+ reading during my lunch break at work ~ addition of about 30 minutes)
    Sat-Sun: 8-10 hours

I am going to get started tomorrow properly -- any thoughts or advice?

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, ACDT & ACPT
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Seems pretty good study plan to me. Do you have any practice test material aside from the questions in the book?

If not try transcender. Also its good to have other references to double check answers that you are not sure of.

Other then that its seems well prepared.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. ay5000

ay5000 Bit Poster

I don't have any other sources, I saw some stuff on torrent sites but not sure if I should do the un-ethical thing and download that.

I will take a look at your recommendation of transcender, thanks.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, ACDT & ACPT
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Yeah lets not talk about torrents as its illegal to download copyright stuff. Transcenders how ever is what I use now to study for 290 and alot of gents here back it up as a good study material.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't have to resort to downloading products illegally. If you want to give some brands a test drive, most (if not all) of the well-known practice test providers offer a demo version of their products.

Besides... Mikey doesn't like it when people steal his work. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

No pun intended, but I give you an A+ for the schedule you developed. It was the EXACT one I used (only thing is that I studied additional books and did additional exams because I wanted to "get it all right"). And guess what? It worked for me. So no doubt it'll work for you also. Good Luck!:thumbleft

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  7. Jagunco

Jagunco Bit Poster

how can you study so much????? Jesus I'm luck if I manage 8 hours a week

Certifications: You're having a laugh
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds good mate.

If you cant get the full 2 hours in each week night dont stress about it though. Some days you might just be too busy to hit the books but other days you might get some extra time.

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Plan sounds Good minus the dodgy part - remember just shout if you need help