my questions do not end.. get ready(Internet with desktop and a notebook)

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kobem, Sep 2, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What I was saying was... they have been on topic. :D Amazingly so, despite my participation. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

More than 60 posts, this thread just had to be interesting - How wrong could I have been, at least I know where to come if I want a dentist :rolleyes:

It's like being back on the tech support line again :confused3

:respct to all those who've hopefully helped, you cheered me up anyway :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Actually - no it isn't. A Cable router doesn't include a modem in the UK, as cable modems are not available to buy normally (Virgin policy).

It is a pure router, with an Ethernet WAN port.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

But Kobem's in Turkey.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I know. But nearly all the descriptions of such routers call them 'cable' routers. And some of the descriptions confusingly call them 'cable/DSL' routers.

Let's review:

There are basically two types of routers offered in the domestic market.
    1) ADSL routers: These include an ADSL modem, and generally don't allow an Ethernet WAN connection.

2) 'Cable' or 'Cable/DSL' routers: These don't have any modem at all, and the WAN connection is Ethernet. In the UK these are normally used with Virgin cable for two reasons - one is that Virgin normally supply the modem, and two is that ADSL Ethernet modems are rare. In the US ADSL Ethernet modems are much more common, so Cable/DSL modems are used for such situations.

I have lost count of the times I have explained this to people - particularly as the description 'Cable/DSL' means ADSL to many, and I have to explain that DSL here doesn't mean ADSL.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Perhaps it wasn't the most well worded comment I've made but still... technically you could purchase a cable modem with an in-built router (and wireless capabilites) negating the need for an additional separate component.

See here for a Linksys model.

And a quote from my originally referenced wikipedia article:-
    "Some cable modem devices may incorporate a router along with the cable modem functionality"

Still... my original comment wasn't totally on the ball and could have been confusing. So yeah...I apologise :p

Let's not confuse Kobem anymore, ok? :)

*shakes hand*

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Shouldn't that be 'a'?

:(

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

*smirk*

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA