My proposed build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jimbooo, Jun 17, 2008.

1. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

/PAE is a fiddle to allow more than 4GB to be addressed by 32bit OSes. Some apps don't play nicely with this.

IMHO if you need more than 4G (mostly databases) then use 64bit.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Doesn't make a blind bit of difference on XP or Vista from testing I have done. The only reliable way to use all 4GB is to use a 64bit OS.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Thought I'd let all you guys know that this morning my computer parts arrived! :D
    The processor I chose was the C2Q Q660 which I aim to overclock to 3ghz per core.

However, I didn't receieve my motherboard (the main bit which I need to put it all together damnit!) from advancetec, and I can't be bothered to wait until friday, so I'm thinking of ringing them up and cancelling my order then buying from Ebuyer instead, with next day delivery.

The case looks fantastic! Can't get the bloody thing to open though. There's a keyhole on the side and the key to unlock it is INSIDE the case. Wtf? So I'm having to unscrew it :p

Oh and I didn't order my graphics card yet - I'm thinking of going for the Geforce GTX 260 as it's one that will last me a good few years.

Will post more info when I get it all working with pics and benchies :D

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

You use them in any multi processor environment. You have to be careful with the AMD ones i hear there are compatibility issues with certain chipsets that are label as compatible.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

not many people have a multi processor environment at home, AMDs are way behind the Intels chps at the moment so I wouldn't use one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. supernova

XP Home will support Quad if they are all on the same dye i thought

Andi

7. greenbrucelee

oh I was confused I thought you were on about multi processors not multi cores.

Yes XP home will see all 4 cores of a quad core cpu and show it as four CPUs.

8. supernova

My fault for saying "processors", it's because task man lists them as individual processors

Andi

9. greenbrucelee

Thats confused me before.

10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hyperthreading was a good one also. It would show two processors in task manager even though there was only one. Now they are bringing it back with the Intel Atom, I wonder how many people will think they have a dual core chip? :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. supernova

Yeah multiple cpus, each multi core with hyperthreading :ohmy

Taskman would have to have a better graphic representation of your system eg using labelled sub panels.

Andi

12. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Moved to new thread.

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing