My opinion of our belief in god

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Remus, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just to clarify on this point, I don't believe (and if I gave the impression otherwise, I apologise) that our lives are set in stone - rather, that each action or situation we find ourselves in is ultimately as a result of a "choice" we have made prior to that (not necessarily immediately - possible years back), but over the course, I believe fate and destiny guide ourselves on our journey.

If I was more literate than the great unread lump that I am, I'd be able to recall the poet who wrote "The Path Not Chosen", whereby the writer, upon coming to a fork in a path, decided on one direction (for no apparent reason to himself) and then spent the rest of his journey contemplating what may have happened had he chosen the other ....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

haha fair dos mate, nice of you to clarify, i wrote an article many years ago about lifes journey, floored a few people who later found out i was 16 :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am not sure there is a *point in an existance*, could you please clarify what you think the point is :rolleyes:

As Freddy once sang, "nothing really matters" :eek:

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sometimes people debate the issue of "free will" versus "pre-determination" in religious circles. The arguement goes, "If G-d exists and knows everything that will ever happen, how can we have free will?" Ironically, the answer (at least at this level) is pretty simple. Everyone has free will. G-d just knows what you are going to choose ahead of time. Doesn't change the fact that we all make choices everyday that affect our lives and the lives of others.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

If I may, Pete - the fact that we are here appears to mean that it was meant to be.

Some may achieve great things, others relatively little. This obviously opens up an enormous new avenue in this discussion - why was gunpowder (or it's constituent parts) invented ? What if the internal combustion engine wasn't invented ? Where did language come from ? Why did bacteria and virii evolve (those of you who consider themselves at the top of the food chain, think again) ? And then, (to use a subject close to my heart) why was Alexander Fleming born - the man who led to a cure for so many dieases and infections caused by the same genus of organisms that he devised the cure from ?

IMHO, questions that do not require the existence of a single deity to explain, but for some reason, the natural materials were put in place for all of the above to occur.

Just strikes me that all this is not without reason, whatever that reason may be...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If the earth blew up tomorrow, who would care? What difference would it make to the universe, and who would perceive it :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I'm with Jak on this one, I do beleive that there are certain things that are pre determind in life. Sometimes things happen for a reason, althought it might not be apparent at the time.

I don't believe that everything is set in stone, and every move is pre set, but more like "checkpoints" along the way. How you get from one to another is up to you, but at some point you will arrive at that point.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  8. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Well said and 100% agreed with.

What path you take in your road, is your choice, but a road is
    already set for each and everyone.

Every man woman and child is here for a purpose on that road,
    each religion is there so some people can believe in something
    better within themselves.

I'm not religeous, and never will be.

Most wars are built around religion or set beliefs somehow.

the fateful question about a grater power, where was he on
    boxing day as the events unfolded? I sat in pure disbelief that
    something so devastating could be unfolding. I had a tear in
    my eye, the day we did the silence at work, at the amount
    of life taken and wasted that day, a god?? yeah right!

If you wish to believe, then thats your choice, but keep it to
    yourself really, I rarely post to threads like this, but just reading
    some of the posts and replies, you can feel the anger in some
    of them........

One day, people will live together as one creed, one race, with
    no discrimination, rapes or deaths........but only if you want it!

But don't preach about right and wrong, can't stand it sorry

And not that I should have too, but no offence to anyone here!

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

G-d. However, I don't anticipate that the Earth will blow up tomorrow. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Remus

Remus Bit Poster

I apologise if people believe that this is the message I'm trying to convey, but I assure you it is not. Of course people are entitled to their own opinion, I am certainly not denying that, I was merely stating mine. I also do not remember telling you all you must share my beliefs.

Yes, the belief of 'fate' does touch a nerve, but please do not think that I'm telling you all not to believe in it. As you said, everyone has a choice.

I apologise for using this as an example as I agree that this is an extremely upsetting subject, which is why I get upset when I think that if fate truly governs our lives then this was it for those poor girls, their 'fate'.

Certifications: C&G MCSIM lvl2
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE, CCNA