My new book comes out in October!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Aug 12, 2009.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills, 2nd Ed. Updated for Vista and all that stuff. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Nice one and congrats on the successful completion of the material. :)

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats, James!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nice, congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congrats!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I bought the first edition of this book when i was studying for the A+ and to be honnest i have looked into it one or 2 times and none of the suggested labs seem really 'Real World' or relevant or interesting. I was pretty disapointed at i was expecting more of a lab book i supose, ill defo check out the new book tho :biggrin

7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats Trip. I keep the original on my desktop, thumbed pages n all...

8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Excellent news Trip!

You should do a quiz to give away a signed copy on here :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations. Will get a copy to justify your hard work :thumbleft

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  10. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

awesome man, congrats!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  11. BosonMichael

You're kidding, right? :wtf: Because the first edition of the book I've got in front of me is nothing BUT a lab book, filled with step-by-step tasks that are absolutely relevant to the real world. Just look at Phase 1 of the book, as an example... how are the following tasks not real-world relevant to an entry-level A+ tech???

Installing RAM
    Installing a PCI Card
    Installing a CPU
    Installing a Power Supply
    Installing a Hard Drive
    Installing a Floppy Drive
    Installing a SCSI Drive
    Installing a CD Drive
    Installing a DVD Drive
    Installing a Motherboard
    Installing a Video Card
    Installing a Laptop Keyboard
    Installing SO-DIMM in a Laptop
    Installing a Laptop Hard Drive
    Instalilng a Laptop Optical Drive
    Installing a KVM Switch
    Installing a Complete Workstation from the Box
    Preventing ESD Damage
    Installing Drivers from a Disk
    Installing Drivers from the Internet
    Reformatting a Hard Drive
    Installing an Operating System
    Uninstalling Software
    Installing Microsoft Applications
    Installing Non-Microsoft Applications
    Upgrading Windows 2000 to Windows XP
    Using Restore Points in Windows XP
    Shutting Down Programs
    Tweaking Windows XP
    Installing a Local Printer
    Installing Printer Drivers

...and that's JUST Phase 1 of 4.

If you can read that list and STILL say that those skills are not relevant to an A+ tech, then you either don't understand what the A+ is or you don't understand what an entry-level IT job is.

Having seen the first edition of James' book, I'll wholeheartedly recommend the second edition, sight unseen.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

...I jest of course :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you beat me to it.

If edition one isn't a lab book then I'm a one armed chinese alien from Bangladesh :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Wishlisted :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. BosonMichael

What, you don't have one in your computer?

Ohhhh, that's right, you weren't alive when floppy disks were available. 8)

Despite the fact that YOU don't use them, knowing how to install one is a good skill to have. Additionally... it might just be on the exam.

17. Qs

Nope, I don't. USB = the way forward.

No, they were about. I even had a 5¼-inch floppy disk drive. Yes, you heard me :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  18. BosonMichael

It IS... but that doesn't mean you shouldn't learn about the things you MIGHT encounter. You won't always encounter "the optimum configuration" and "the best equipment" on the networks you administer.

19. Qs

That's no way to talk about Apple Macs.

(Yeah, I get you Mike. Correct as usual :))

Qs

20. BosonMichael

Heehee! Including Macs. :D

There was a parent at my son's birthday party who said that their family was a "Mac family" because of the better virus protection offered by Macs. I jokingly told her that the reason Macs are relatively virus-free was because nobody's going to write a virus that targets 3% of the computers out there. She huffingly said, "Well, my husband is the head of IT security for [some state agency I can't remember]"... to which I laughed and responded, "Well, he must not be very good at security if he has to rely on Macs to keep your computers free from viruses!" :p

I think she realized that I wasn't attacking her by the time the conversation was over.

I hope. :oops: