My Network Now and Soon to be

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Nelix, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Forgive my attempt to use Visio, it's my first time

This is now

[​IMG]

and this is soon

[​IMG]

If anyone has any suggestions please speak freely

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

After all that hard work i have just realised that on the pic showing my network now the cable modem should be connected to the server machine.

BUMMER

:evil: :bluegrab

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok, so after all that, it seems the main difference is that you're running a couple of printer servers off you're switch and you have your server and self built machine on a kvm switch. Can you describe what your server "serves"? Also, the self built machine...is it a workstation or another server. What OSes do each of the machines run. I know you've probably mentioned this elsewhere, but it helps to have the info on tap when looking at the diagram.

If you like working with Visio, you should try using Cisco's Configmaker.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I looked at your 2 diagrams and thought there's no real difference between them apart from the router and print switches, that'd be why :D

Visio has a cool feature where you can save the files as html, if you add properties like asset numbers to the equipment when it is saved as html there is a pane on the left which displays the properties when you hold your mouse over an item.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Nelix

Another way of redoing your network would be to put smoothwall in place of the linksys router. If you haven't come across it before it's a great firewall based on linux, the beauty of it is it will run on virtually any old junk. I had it on an old P100 with 16mb ram and 100mb HDD. You don't need to know anything about linux since it will boot off the cd into a configuration wizard, you can have it up and running in half an hour for the cost of an old scrapper computer which was probably destined for the bin anyway.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I was wondering when this was going to happen and you seem like a good candidate, Phil. I sense a Linux forum moderator being born (and L-rd knows it ain't me...all my friends have talked me out of going for a Linux cert and getting more MS experience instead). :D

7. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Trip, but when I said you really don't need to know anything about Linux I meant it, I'm afraid you could fit my knowledge of Linux on the back of a beer mat, and not a very big one at that :D . I keep going throught the process of installing it on a test box, looking at it, thinking isn't it pretty and promptly forgetting all about doing anything with it.

8. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hi all

Sorry i have not been around this weekend, i've been stuck under a car (fitting new brakes).

To answer a few questions,

The server does not do alot really, It's set as a domain controller with active directory (not set up yet), The self built machine is a workstation, all the machines are running Win 2000, except the sever which has Win 2000 'Server' on it.

The new router will act as a basic firewall, however i want to put a proxy server on the Server machine to try and restrict internet access by IP or Hostname (as mentioned in another thread), any clues, tips, hints or suggestions to help improve the network would be greatly apprietiated

Thanks

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It depends on what you want to do. The nice thing about a network lab is that you can change it around depending on your needs. Right now you're studying for the 70-210. Presumably, you have a set of labs you intend to practice in order to learn 2000 Pro. Review the requirements for the lab and configure your network accordingly.

When you pass 210 and go on to 215 (server), you'll likely what to change things around to fit those set of labs. It's a little muddy combining a lab and "production" environment but necessity is the mother of invention. I'm forced to do that myself since the "family" machine is also part of my lab. In a perfect world, the network lab would be totally separate and only used for study, but I don't have that kind of money or space.

I think once you review your 210 labs, you'll be able to see if your network fits the bill. Chances are it does.

10. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Ok, Sorry to resurect this thread but i thought the pics above would help.

I'm having a problem with my network, namely when i take the laptop into the bedroom to do some study, i plug it into the wall port it shows the usual little box in the lower right saying network cable pluggin in, give it about 20-30 seconds and it pops another one up saying that the network cable is unplugged, then plugged again, then unplugged, i have checked the cable on a lovely machine (Fluke One Touch Network Assistant) from work and its ok, i have also checked the cable from the wall port downstairs to the switch and it's ok too, i have even checked the cable under the floor boards with the same little machine and it says it's ok, i can connect, and stay connected if i take the laptop down stairs and plug it straight into the switch, take it up stairs again and using the same port on the switch and it wont work :x

Whats going on, i can connect from everywhere else in the house, just not the bedroom and it's the only place i seem to be able to get some peace

:cry:

11. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Have you been able to try another machine in the bedroom port? Could it be a problem with the connectors inside the socket?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  12. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Thants what i thought, but i plugged the Network Assistant into the port in the bedroom and the port downstairs and it said that it was straight through, working fine

13. Luton Bee

If the laptop works fine in other ports it has to be the wiring or socket in the bedroom. To prove this another machine should display the same behaviour when plugged into the bedroom socket. The only other thing that really springs to mind is a problem with your switch but you have already proved that by moving the laptop down to the switch, so that should be OK. Always assuming you can get onther machine to replcate the bedroom behaviour (oh er Missus!!) it has to be cabling.

14. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

thats what i thought to, just a little confused as to why this test equipment says otherwise

:?: :confused2

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Can you change the switch port used by the connector in the bedroom? Maybe it's the switch port itself. Are there other similar connectors in your home? Try the laptop in each of those to see if you get a similar behavior. I assume all this is well within 100 meters so you're not encountering a distance limit or some sort. It sounds like you have an intermittant connection. When your laptop is connected while in your bedroom, can you ping another station through the switch. I wonder if you're losing packets for some reason? If all else fails, you can either replace the bedroom connection and/or the cabling from your switch to the bedroom, or add a wireless access point and wireless NIC to the equation and be done with it.

16. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

The port on the switch is fine, if i plug the laptop directly into the port....it works fine,

I cant ping anything else on the network as it does not hold the connection for long enough.

Not looking forward to pulling up the floor boards again, looking forward to telling the girlfriend even less !!!!!! :evil:

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I may have missed this part, Derek. Have you tried another machine in the same room using that connection yet? I'd do that first before I started pulling up floorboards.

18. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

will give it a go tonight, if i have time

Thanks for the help guys

19. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Update for you people.

Tried another machine on the port in the bedroom and guess what ............ It worked, so i then grabed a pre made cable, plugged it into the laptop and port, and guess what, the laptop worked on the port, unplugged the pre made cable and plugged my homemade cable in and it didn't work.....again, So I unplugged one end of the home made cable and plugged the pre made one onto the end of it with an extension adapter and guess what..........it worked again ????????

Figure

:?: :scratch :confused3

20. Luton Bee

Must be a short in the homemade patch cable or just some dodgy cable with incorrect twist spacings or something. Anyway looks like you won't have to get them floorboards up after all!