My Network+ Maths . . .

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Coupe2T, May 18, 2010.

1. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Am I right in my maths when I say that out of the 100 questions in the exam you must get 78 right to pass? Does anyone know?

I worked it out as follows :

scoring is from 100-900, So you automatically start on 100. A pass is 720, which means you need to earn 620 points. therefore :

900-100 = 800

800 / 100 = 8 (points per question up for grabs)

620 / 8 = 77.5

So rounded up to 78 questions or 78% right to hit the minimum passmark.

Is that right? Just want to check my maths so i'm sure! :-)

Cheers

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

They don't publish how the exam is scored and I believe the questions can be weighted differently. So there is no way to know how many questions you have to get right.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

and even if they did doing the maths should make no difference to your studying, you should be aiming for 100% anyway.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Ah really? Are the questions weighted the same in the Practice exams then do you know? I have done one that came with the Todd Lammle Sybex book and got 73 questions right, and it gave me 73%, so not sure if this is a true reflection or not now then!?!

Co-incidence that it is both 73% possibly, or the test exams mark the questions as I have at 8 pts per question etc? that could be misleading though! lol.

Anyone know for sure how it is marked / weighted!?!

Not planning on the exam til June as clearly still a couple of areas for me to brush up on, Namely cabling and connectors, I always struggle with that area for some silly reason! lol. Everything else is pretty good now though I think.

5. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Oh of course, I want to get the highest score possible, I was just curious how it was marked to give me a good idea of how close I was based on my practice exam. As said I know I still have a few bits to brush up on etc but just made me think was all.

Cheers for the input though, I am indeed hoping to hit into the 90's at bare minimum, anything less than that and I would be disappointed!

6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Anybody saying they know for sure are probably just guessing or breaking a confidentiality agreement. If you are scoring 83-86% or better on a good practice test the first time you take it then you should feel pretty confident in going into the exam. Just keep reviewing those areas that you are weakest in and you should be fine. Don't over think the particulars of how it is scored!!

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, they're not. Because we don't know how they're weighted on the live exam.

Only CompTIA knows, and they're not saying.

Plus, CompTIA can include unscored beta questions... which will totally throw your math off.

In short, trying to figure out the percentage of questions you need to answer correctly is an exercise in futility. So I'd recommend concentrating less on the score and more on the concepts. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Yeah as I said I am intending on getting well above the minimum pass mark, Just made me think after my first practice exam wether it was a true reflection, As some of the questions were clearly much easier than others, so thought i'd ask the question. :biggrin

I know the areas where I am weak, or at least have a reasonable idea.

I was a little annoyed actually that given this test exam came with the book I thought that it might give you a breakdown by area as to where you are weakest etc but it doesn't, Doesn't even tell me which questions I got wrong, just tells me the percentage and the number of questions I have got right and wrong!?!

9. BosonMichael

Good ones do. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It is generally thought that 75% is the pass but as said they don't tell us how they are scored and beta questions which are unmarked can be in there.

I remember in one of my certs I got questions that I don't believe had any place in that exam so I believe they were beta questions as there was no mention of the subject for those questions in anything I had studied.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

100 questions sounds a lot, does this sound right?

12. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

So what are the good ones then mate? As this came on the CD with the book I kinda assumed they would be related to it and tell you the poor areas, as said though it just doesn't! :-(

I do want some decent practice exams etc but all the ones I see are for sale for like, £50+, just seems expensive considering the actual exam is only in the region of £160!?!

Yeah I had one real random question in my practice exam which i'm sure wasn't covered in the book but that could just be a bit I didn't take in! lol

As far as I know it's a 100 questions, Sure thats what it says on the CompTia site at least!?!

13. greenbrucelee

Network + is 100 questions 720 is the minimum passing score in the 2009 version before its was a minimum of 575.

Preplogic, Transcender and Measure up. If Boson Michael and his crew pull their fingers out they might get their network + exams out soon. And if Boson make one and its anywhere near the quality of their A+ exam then it would be great.

14. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

It does indeed say 100 questions on the Comptia site. I didn't remember it being that many questions but I suppose it could have been. I finished the exam in just over 30 minutes so if you know your stuff the number of questions isn't a big deal.

15. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Cool, I'll check them out, Are they worth the cash for the practice exams though? That's the big question.

I'm probably only questioning it to be honest as I think I can probably pass easy enough without them, but I don't want to under estimate the exam and over estimate my abilities! lol.

Yeah my practice exam only took me about 30 mins for 100 questions so plenty of time, Not worried about time. :biggrin

16. greenbrucelee

It's always best to make sure your properly prepared, stumping up the cash for a second go at Network + could be painful.

preplogic and transcender always have special offers on which cuts the price down however be prepared for lots of emails advertising their products which can take a few attempts to stop.

17. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Fair enough, good point! Cheers for the heads up on the e-mail listings too!

18. greenbrucelee

sometimes it can take 4-5 unsubsribes before they stop.

19. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Gotta love companies like that!!! I still get e-mails from a couple of companies that I have been getting them from for years, They just wont bloody stop, no matter how many times I unsubscribe! So annoying, even thought they are filtered coz I know they are still coming it annoys me! lmao.

20. BosonMichael

Some are. You generally get what you pay for. Pay a little, get a little... pay a lot, get a lot. And when I say "a lot", I don't necessarily mean "a lot of questions"... I mean "a lot of quality".