My mate has landed an IT job with no certs no experience

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

yes its true he applied and got the job somehow. Anyway I was talking to him about his future plans, he isnt fussed and doesnt know if he will even like the job (firstline). He put little effort into his application and applied on a whim as he needed a job and does have some interest in IT.

He wants to know if he does decide to get the experience etc can he advance his career on experience alone as he doesnt have any interest in certs he said he likes learning about new tech and will continue to develop his knowledge but will not do any certs.. Tbh I couldnt answer him as I do not know, so I am asking here and will relate back to him your replies

Jaron78 likes this.
  2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Yes. There are loads of senior IT bods with no certs.

Eventually he is likely to change his mind, but that isn't a certainty. It sort of depends on where he ends up. If you work for a Microsoft/Cisco/Vmware Gold partner they have a major incentive to get all their staff qualified, if you work for some other types of outfit they don't give a rat's arse about paper medals.

Certs are a lot easier after you have already done most of the stuff they cover anyway.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, it is not a straight forward answer... It depends on himself, the area (geological, eg national or international), the field within IT, the organisations, etc...

I know some great guys/gals that have no or little qualifications and they have done well... On the other hand, I know guys/gals that haven't done so well. The same goes for degrees and professional certs, some have done really well, others not so well.

In the UK, generally there is no set "standard" for entering and advancing your career in IT - however individual organisations will have their own rules & guidelines that you will have to follow. Unlike if you work abroad, where the "standard" is that you have a degree and you gain your professional certifications as you advance

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks I have shown him this thread he is a lucky bastard, I had to grind to land a job in IT and he just walks into one with little effort. He said he will see where it goes. He asked me if all support jobs are stressful as he has been looking online I told him I guess so as my job is and I cant imagine a support role that doesnt include stress, is this right?

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Most days I have 6-7 hours down time. By a mile, this is the least stressful job I've ever had.

6. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

I used to be in the same situation. Not so lucky nowadays ha ha

7. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Aye, it just gives me a great chance to study and have a full life outside of work. It's perfect, for now.

8. SjoerdHooft

SjoerdHooft New Member

For some jobs, your personality is more important than your actual experience. When doing (junior) support activities it is common you only need to file the call into the system. And if you do that very friendly and promise to check back on users you might make it without a problem. You'll need to be honest with collegues however, and ask for help. Also, knowing how to google should get you somewhere.