My laptop shuts down by itself randomly and without warning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kobem, Mar 20, 2011.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What the chuffin hell has money got to do with running a laptop from mains power supply?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Best thread ever. :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

No, battery removal is not a hard thing to do. However, im avoiding anything that could kick my laptop at the time.

Certifications: CCNA
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

So you are deliberately avoiding troubleshooting steps suggested to you in order to determine the cause of the issue?

In that case, we shouldn't bother providing troubleshooting steps.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

I applied most of the things you told me in terms of software. But on hardware side, every step should be
    executed properly without haste.

6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

the damage might of already been done by overheating. If the fan is making a noise it's either clogged or faulty and this can cause the laptop to overheat and over time cause permanent damage. Might be time for a new laptop as getting a 4 year old laptop fixed is probably not cost effective in my opinion.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

what exactly do you think taking the battery out will do?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yes, it's Kobem.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Kobem, you should take the battery out. The point is that it could be the battery causing the shutdowns. If you don't take it out you won't know and if it's not the cause then the laptop will still shut down like before and you can put the battery back in.

And the funny thing about you noticing is that you keep reading them.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. michael78

Kobem, removing the battery and running direct from the power isn't going to cause your laptop to explode. The guys are trying to help you determine if the cause is a faulty battery. From what your saying to me it sounds like a heat issue that has caused the damage but it's best to rule everything out before scrapping the laptop or throwing money at unnecessary repairs.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's a battery.

There's probably just a little catch holding it in.
    Slide the catch and it will fall out on your lap.
    Then you clip it back in.

Do it as slowly as you like.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. greenbrucelee

This

This

Kobem you should study the A+ and Network+ and before you say you can't in your country you have been proven wrong time and time again that you can. You need to go back to basics because you clearly have a hard time with basic IT whether it's software or hardware.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why would I not? It's comedy gold!!! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I think its high time BM deployed the famous JPG designed just so for moments like these, yea thats right I'm talking about FACEPALM!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I think not.

If you can not post to help the OP, then please do not

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  16. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

OK point taken, however the overriding point here is I dont think anyone can. I've never set upon the op for things he/she posts, actually I like the fact that he/she is obviously very keen and interested to learn. I have nothing against him/her and view every post as if it were his/her first. However how many times on this forum have questions been asked and the many helpful responses ignored by the op. The op also does not try and contribute to the community here and helping out others but chooses only to stream questions as us that he/she should already understand. A CCNA certified person should not be making purchasing a home router into such a big issue!

Maybe its a language and style barier here as most of us are westerner's (UK/US) and maybe his/her approach does not translate well but I can fully understand why people would be very dismissive of the op's posts and why they quickly dissend in the way they quite often do.

PS: unless a laptop is held together with bluetack and pva glue then the battery is a cosumer changable part and will not result in the destruction of said laptop providing you slide the little slider across with the picture of the battery onto before removing the battery.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  17. michael78

I agree with the above. Don't take this personally but I think your out of your depth. I would strongly recommend going back and doing your A+ and Network+ otherwise you will end up doing lasting damage to your career and reputation. These certs will do you the world of good mate longterm and I think you will look back if you do them and see that it's good advice.

18. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

When i ignore certain things, you always tell the same thing. This makes me unhappy also upset so much.
    I didn't care at the beginning most of the times to go back to basics. Then, your persistence made me exhausted.
    Therefore, i found Network+ study guide however, it almost didn't offer anything new.

In battery removal subject, i ignored your recommendation as well and you deducted that i do not know
    how to achieve it. I didn't want to cos i fed up with having experienced plenty of weird problems that
    make me angry for years.

I can give you an example about it ; my printer prints the first and third page of the document however
    it supplies the second blank completely. I tried everything else but nothing changed. :blink

19. greenbrucelee

A+ will help you

20. michael78

I find it hard to believe you wouldn't gain anything from the Network+ (and A+) when you ask the questions you do. It's your choice but just don't expect to further your career if you don't know the basics mate. As the saying goes learn to crawl before you walk.