My Job Hunt

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Mar 28, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Let's not put the cart before the horse! First, they have to get workstations set up in Boise. :twisted:

:running away: heeheehee

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

I'm sure one will drop in your lap when you least expect it, sometime soon hopefully.Good luck.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Good Luck Trip - something suitable will come along, as always...

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Smart Arse. :dry

:biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations trip :beers2

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Crito

Crito Banned

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Good luck with all the hunting Trip
    I must say your experiance with Monstor is similar to my experiance over here

I still have a few of my older support skills on my CV and for some reason the fact I have supported users on Mac, GoLive and Dreamweaver means i qualify for a stonking junior designer position for 20kpa!
    I was so excited I sent the recruiter a 'Pheo polite' email back telling him to remove me from his spam list before i get really mad! lol

every other day I get one crap email or another, I dont actually respond to any of them anymore, only the ones I actually think are any good for me :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Good luck with ur recruitment search Trip, must be frustrating, hang in there fella.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

How well I know that. I few years back I had a contract job for 3 months with a small city IT department. The twit who was the IT manager at the time said one of my duties was to review department expenditures each month and verify that they were correct. Of course, my contract was one of the expenditures and I found out just how much they were paying for my services. I was getting just a little over half of the total amount.

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I had a great phone interview with the folks at Lionbridge...the complete opposite of my experience with them last year. I'm pretty much everything they need. We also seemed to hit it off as far as our personalities as well.

They have other interviews to do but said they'd be back in touch next week. If I get the job, I'll be developing and maintaining a web interface for an HP support group. I don't want to get overconfident so I'll stop here.

Funny thing is I also got a call from a recruiter saying that an outfit in Redmond, WA (not Microsoft) needs a Technical Writer for a year. A 12-month relocation isn't in my plans so I had to turn that one down. :wink:

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I got an email from Seattle-based Sakson and Taylor saying they'd seen my CV online and thought I'd be a good match for a couple of projects they have at their Boise office. I called the recruiter up this morning to discuss the issue. She asked, so I mentioned that a couple of other companies were interested in me so she said she'd get me an interview with their local person ASAP.

It's only for a two or three month gig but of course there's always the "lure" of "contract-to-hire". At least people are calling me and sounding like I have some attractive skill sets. :biggrin

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Cool - I've never been out of work, but I imagine its a bitch - thats why i quit contracting - I couldn't deal with the uncertainty when I got a mortgage :oops:

Nice to see you used the same trick I always do when i want out of somewhere - tell recruiters you've got other interviews lined up - that always makes them take notice. I once had three interviews in two days and got an offer from two of them - the third (the one I REALLY wanted - DR manager for Morgan Stanley) dicked around for days without letting me know - during which time I lost the offer from one of the others so thought I'd better accept the second one. Two days afterward, MS told me they'd hired someone internal - so I made the right decision - but I HATE not knowing one way or the other.

I admire people who do independent contracting but its not for me!

You've got an excellent skillset as well, so not surprised you've got people beating a path to your door...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Believe me, contracting isn't my first choice, however when I first got started on this adventure, it was the only way to build my CV and my credentials. A large part of writing is contractural, particularly in terms of books, articles, and so forth. A company either has to be large or desperate to spring for a full-time permanent content developer. That's why skills such as HTML, CSS, XML, etc... are important since almost no one is going to ask you to record their data in plain text or as a Word document only.

Incidently, I'm not posting this because I'm an egomaniac and need to have every change in my job search recorded for posterity. Since so many members at CF are in the early stages of building a career, I thought it would help to see what it's like when you've got three or four years of professional experience behind you.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Update! I just got a call to interview with Sakson and Taylor tomorrow at 10 a.m. The fellow was convinced I had other offers on the table and was half expecting me to say that I wasn't interested. I am, of course. Wish me luck.

15. BosonMichael

Congrats, man! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Congratulate me when I actually get hired. :wink:

17. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

I wish you the best of luck Trip. :thumbleft

A quick question though, which is totally off topic, sorry:

How is Boise pronounced?

Thanks,

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  18. Mr.Cheeks

Trip - Good Luck mate!

J- boy-see or boy-zee

19. BosonMichael

And Idaho is pronounced "I-da-Ho!"

(you da what???) :ohmy

20. Mr.Cheeks

You serious? PMSL!