MY job 3 weeks in...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ITdave, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ITdave

ITdave New Member

O.k so i started my first full time I.T job 3 weeks ago and thought id let ya know how it was going as i think that's the norm for this place?

I'm a Junior I.T Engineer and from the job spec i believed i would be on a first line service desk answering phone calls all day, doing password resets and logging calls. I was clearly very wrong.

my role once i am fully up to speed includes working remote fixes for desktops, applications and some network issues. Anything our grade cant do gets passed up the chain. It also includes site visit for fixes and installations that cant be done remotely. So for the past 3 weeks i have been learning the ropes, who we support etc. now i'm in week 4 and out in the field for the week with other engineers learning which is great.

There is always ongoing projects in which they encourage everyone to be involved in so am looking forward to that as well.

Have been booked on prince and itil later this year as well which will save me a few quid as i was halfway through doing itil anyway!

All in all, a very happy chappy!

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 70-685
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good stuff mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I'd definitely prefer doing remote OS/app and network fixes than just logging calls and doing password resets. So congrats! You'll learn a lot quicker this way picking up more experience in the long run, that's for sure.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM