My First Year In IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by craigie, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

You've got 9 years on him, just don't go too slowly :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  2. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Cragie, I'm repping you for a job well done.

have applied the same attitude myself but haven't had the promotions unfortunately.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the Rep peps :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Just noticed I have been pinned, yay for me :biggrin

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. AndreK

AndreK Bit Poster

Nice read, any updates of your 2nd year?

6. morph

morph Byte Poster

Nice one mate - this should be stickied - and then url given to peeps when they come on try to jump up to network design before doing the bits below ;)

*just noticed*

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  7. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

Wow!! :ohmy

Just wanted to say Craigie that this is a very inspirational read and proves hard work (and a supportive and understanding family!) can really make a difference.

I am just starting out and hope to complete my MCDST within the next few months then apply for a helpdesk role close to home.

I look forward to hear what you are up to 6 months down the line :p

Atiaran

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCDST
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

How did I miss this first time around?
    Repped for motivational goodness...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

A couple of you have been asking what have I been upto for the last six months since I started in Third Line Support, to give you an overview:

Certifications Achieved

Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician
    Cisco Certified Network Associate
    Citrix Certified Administrator

So much has changed, over the past six months, its really quite breaktaking. A few things that I have done over the past six months include:

- Cisco Router installations across LES links
    - Cisco PIX Firewall configurations and troubleshooting, building VPN tunnels & troubleshooting these, using syslogging and debugging.
    - Cisco Router configurations, locking them down after penetration tests
    - Installing Exchange 2007, SBS 2008, Standard 2008 BlackBerry Enterprise Servers
    - Daily troubleshooting of Exchange 2003/2007/2010 issues.
    - Citrix troubleshooting and configuration
    - DNS updates of A & MX records
    - SPAM configurations via Third Parties and things such as Exclaimer
    - Active Synch troubleshooting on Exchange 2003/2007
    - Network documentation

I'm currently working on upgrading a BlackBerry Server to v5 and getting it to work properly with Exchange 2010, as well as looking into network traffic across some VPN's, need to enable syslogging on those when I get chance and a migrating and installing BIS to BES.

Also have to do my normal calls along the way and pitch in.

Hope that explains a little about what I'm currently working on/with, we support over 500 clients, so you name it I have full Enterprise Admin access on it.

Alot of pressure, mainly with the Cisco VPN stuff and Exchange, as everyone starts shouting when these go down!

10. waqaschaudry1

waqaschaudry1 New Member

Well said and well done Craigie, i would say you have presented it all in very interesting fashion and i'm feeling myself very motivated after reading this thread. i feeling now that i have an example to follow that how to keep working hard with moral and dedication .
    This is indeed a greet help to all who are in the start of their IT career.
    Thanks alot

11. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Craigie, thanks for that. A very interesting read, and some food for thought. Great career so far!

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Cheers Marie, I have updated some of what I have been doing over the past six months so that you can get a feel for what I have been upto.

This year is going to be interesting, as they say watch this space.

13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thought I would give you guys an update.

Had my review the other day and have been given a nice pay rise.

Happy days.

14. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

I'm really impressed. All of it in a year. Probably mixture of luck, proper attitude, talent and skills.
    Hope to find suitable position for me, but I'm rather interested in buying/selling of hardware/IT services (as I have 3 years of exp in Export/Import and I enjoyed it).
    Anyway as I'm foreigner and it is harder for me to find suitable position especially in first line, as my language wouldn't be as good as native speaker's,
    anyway this topic is a good example for others

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats mate! Does that mean you can buy another couple of noisy servers? :)

17. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations...

18. solchi

solchi New Member

pls i have a question to ask. i have a bsc. already in computing is it advisable to do comptia a+ first. as i really dont have any experience in IT just the a degree.pls email me [email protected]

19. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Suggest you remove your email from the post, or you'll get lots of lovely S P A M.

Given you've got a BSc in computing, can I assume you've already learnt about RAM, CPUs, and so on? If so, then CompTIA A+ is a good qualification to start with and may not take you that long to attain. Bear in mind, if you do not take and pass it this year, you then have to mess about renewing every 3 years.

If you visit the CompTIA site itself, you'll find information about the certification and the exams. Yes, there are two you need to pass to attain the A+.

EDIT: There's lot of good info on this site too.

You don't say, not in this post anyway, what you're looking to do in IT. What you want to do after A+ depends on what you'd look to do as next steps.

All the best.

Giddy

20. white beard

white beard New Member

great stuff