My first week!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by millsie, Sep 16, 2011.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Well all, I have just completed my first week in the new job, and I am very happy so far:D

Done lots of interesting things like visiting BT exchanges to see our kit installed, DSLAM's and our routers, see how it all fits together as well as spending a good day out with a field engineer on a few jobs to see him at work. Good to see how important it is for us to be on the end of the line for them to give them advice, its almost as if I will have more knowledge than them generally, from a software point of view anyways!

The company itself seems great, was introduced to pretty much everyone in the office on both floors which was a nice touch and they all explained what it is they do, free cold drinks whenever I want, use of pool cars for install visits (2 audis)!

I have now started learning some new CLI's on different types of routers by Zhone and Actelis, troubleshooting and config. Not touched any Cisco yet that will come later. Also got hands on with solarwinds using SNMP which is great, fantastci network monitoring tool for all our networks, we have 5 main large networks in 5 counties so need some pretty hefty network monitoring stuff!

What I am most happy about so far is that on a day to day basis I am working with networking, talking about networking and doing networking stuff, this is my future and its brilliant!

Will keep you all posted as I get further into the next 3 months training, then onto the full time shifts:biggrin

Yippeee!

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Sounds good, glad you're enjoying it!

Solarwinds is a great system, and without it, it'd be pretty tough to monitor anything, we use it to monitor our networks globally too - Very powerful tool

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud