My first lab...

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by surfer_rosa, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Okay, maybe you can run off and post sh ver on both routers. Then we can have a look, you know. Compare and contrast. See what the good router has that the bad one hasn't.

The good one is James and the bad one Matt, right ?

May be the bad router simply doesn't like his name ? Perhaps you should rename him Claudia and buy her a box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers. You never know...

Er, sorry.

Post the sh vers and lets have a look.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

:)

You know I never did like the naming scheme. Why would you call your router Matt and James and such? I know why Surfer is doing it. Cause it is like that in the examples. :D

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  3. surfer_rosa

surfer_rosa Nibble Poster

Busted were the first band i could think of that had 3 members, so i decided to name them after that.:biggrin

Shall post the outputs in a bit....

Certifications: None.... yet
    WIP: CCNA
  4. surfer_rosa

OK. Here are the final 'results' i did on every (god damn) port!

Code:
    Clocking	Receiving	Works?

James   Se 0	Matt    Se 0	NO
    James   Se 0	Matt    Se 1	NO
    James   Se 1	Matt    Se 0	NO
    James   Se 1	Matt    Se 1	NO
    Matt    Se 0	James   Se 0	YES
    Matt    Se 0	James   Se 1	NO
    Matt    Se 1	James   Se 0	YES
    Matt    Se 1	James   Se 1	NO

Matt    Se 0	Charlie Se 0	NO
    Matt    Se 0	Charlie Se 1	YES
    Matt    Se 1	Charlie Se 0	NO
    Matt    Se 1	Charlie Se 1	YES
    Charlie Se 0	Matt    Se 0	NO
    Charlie Se 0	Matt    Se 1	NO
    Charlie Se 1	Matt    Se 0	NO
    Charlie Se 1	Matt    Se 1	NO

Charlie Se 0	James	Se 0	NO
    Charlie Se 0	James	Se 1	NO
    Charlie Se 1	James	Se 0	NO
    Charlie Se 1	James	Se 1	NO
    James   Se 0	Charlie	Se 0	NO
    James   Se 0	Charlie	Se 1	NO
    James   Se 1	Charlie	Se 0	NO
    James   Se 1	Charlie	Se 1	NO
    Dunno what can be made of that, but i wanted to see if i could contruct a network of the ports that worked...

Here's the Show vers

James:
    Code:
    james # sh vers
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software 
    IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 12.1(3)T,  RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 19-Jul-00 06:05 by ccai
    Image text-base: 0x03042200, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    BOOTFLASH: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 10.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

james uptime is 8 hours, 23 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c2500-i-l.121-3.T.bin"

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision L) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 08402223, with hardware revision 00000000
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    Basic Rate ISDN software, Version 1.1.
    1 Token Ring/IEEE 802.5 interface(s)
    2 Serial network interface(s)
    1 ISDN Basic Rate interface(s)
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Configuration register is 0x2102
    Charlie:
    Code:
    charlie # sh vers
    IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-IS-L), Version 12.3(5b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 16-Jan-04 01:32 by kellythw
    Image text-base: 0x0308027C, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
    BOOTLDR: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-BOOT-R), Version 11.0(10c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

charlie uptime is 8 hours, 24 minutes
    System image file is "flash:c2500-is-l.123-5b.bin"

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision N) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 06105743, with hardware revision 00000000
    Bridging software.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Matt:
    Code:
    matt > show vers
    IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-IS-L), Version 12.3(5b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 16-Jan-04 01:32 by kellythw
    Image text-base: 0x0308027C, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
    BOOTLDR: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-BOOT-R), Version 11.0(10c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

matt uptime is 1 minute
    System image file is "flash:c2500-is-l.123-5b.bin"

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision N) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 06246547, with hardware revision 00000001
    Bridging software.
    Basic Rate ISDN software, Version 1.1.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 ISDN Basic Rate interface(s)
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

If you can make anything from that then well done. :biggrin

5. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Nope !

I thought maybe I'll be able to spot something with the config register or the DRAM or the flash or the image text. But sadly, no.

Have you checked the ethernet port to see if that one is down as well ?

6. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Hi surfer_rosa,

Time to roll up the sleeves and troubleshoot the serial interfaces!

Try this to check the interface hardware:
    First, clear the config on the serial interface. Unplug the cable, save the config and reload. You want to start with no config on the serial interface.

With no cable, check the the interface and controller using-
    sh int s0
    sh contr s0

Of course, the interface is down/down. sh contr s0 should say "No serial cable attached". sh int s0 will likely show DCD=up and DSR=up.

Next, plug in the DCE side of the DB-60 cable. Make sure the other end of the cable is unplugged. Do the same show commands, likely DCD and DSR will still be up. sh contr s0 should say "DCE V.35, no clock".

Next, plug in the DTE side of the cable. DCD and DSR will still be up, and sh contr will say something like "DTE V.35, clocks stopped".

If above works, excellent, the interface is properly detecting the cable.

Now go into config mode and set up the interface, e.g.:

conf t
    int s0
    ip add 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0
    clockrate 64000
    encap hdlc
    no shut

The default encap is hdlc, but enter it anyway, just in case.
    sh run int s0 should show the config you just entered.

With no cable attached the show commands will likely show DCD, DSR and CTS are up, and "No serial cable".

Now plug in the DCE end of the cable. sh int s0 should show encapsulation HDLC and that keepalive (10 sec) is on the interface, and DCD, DSR and CTS are up. Also, it should say loopback not set. sh contr s0 should show "DCE V.35 clock rate 64000".

If you plug in the DTE end, you will likely see the usual DCD, DSR and CTS up. sh contr s0 will usually say "DTE V.35 TX clock detected". So far, so good, assuming there has been nothing unusual in your serial interface/cable.

Up until now the interface will always have been down/down as we have not connected the other end of the cable to anything.

The next step is to loop the interface. I assume you don't have a DB-60 loopback plug so we will use an internal loopback. Remove the cable (very important!). Go to config mode and loop the interface:

conf t
    int s0
    loop

You will probably see the console messages indicating the interface going up.

The interface is now looped. sh int s0 will show DCD, DSR, DTR, RTS and CTS are up, loopback set, and it should say "line protocol is up (looped)". s0 will be up/up. sh contr s0 will say "No serial cable attached". sh int s0 will show a steady trickle of 24 byte packets in and out, the keepalives. You should be able to ping the ip address of the interface and see the packets in and out increment.

Now ping using size=1500 and count 100 to give the interface some traffic. It should work with no errors, check sh int s0. If needed, clear the counters first to make sure you are starting fresh.

Don't plug a cable into a looped interface or you will bring it down. Remember to remove the loop before using it!

If the above works, the interface is probably good. Check the other interfaces (skip right to the loopback check if you want to save time) and if all interfaces are good, look for cable or config errors.

Hope this is useful,

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  7. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Man, I've been watching this thread with no idea what you were talking about.

I'm still no clearer, but I was waiting for Spice to turn up.

I'm still in the dark, 'cos as yet it's not my thing but I can follow the logic a little.

It just feels good to me.

Hmmm. Maybe I feel a little itch toward Cisco stuff.

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  8. NetEyeBall

Great stuff Spice! I am going to try that at home to see all the different information you posted.

As for the itch toward Cisco. Networking is very interesting, but long road. Go for it!!!

9. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I wonder where Surfer went. I hope he didn't get cheesed off and dumped the router in the bin.

These things are a joy when they work right. But once they turn nasty, they turn into real monsters from the deep. I've got a 3640 here that belongs to my house mate who's away at the moment. This damn thing has been playing up ever since I laid my eyes on it. It needs fixing. But, boy, I just don't wanna go there right now. I've been putting it off and putting it off, because I just know I'm gonna be losing a lot of sleep hours trying to figure it out.

10. surfer_rosa

Thanks for the reply spice - really appreciate the effort. Unfortunately i work at weekends so i might not get to try this til sun day night.

Thank you so much though and i'll let you know what happens :D

11. surfer_rosa

Done. Used write erase to clear the nvram, reloaded and told it to stick it's autoinstall up its arse. Saved the 'blank config' using copy ru st incase i needed to bring up the router clean again.
    Down/Down indeed. Got a 'no cable' aswell. However, all the serial interface properties (i.e. DCD, DSR, DTR etc etc) were all down

DCE detected. Didn't say anything about 'no clock', but i'd imagine thats negligible.

Still all serial properties are down.
    DTE also detected, but again, nothing about clocking just now.

Serial properties still all down.
    Yes, and thanks for that command. I hated doing sh ru when i only wanted to know info about 1 interface.

It doesn't mention 'encap hdlc' and 'no shut', presumably because they are the defaults. (Just incase you're paranoid, i checked the sh int se 0 and hdlc was indeed the encapsulation)
    Again, no serial properties are up.
    HDLC and keepalive - check! Also DCD DSR and CTS are now up (yay!). Loopback not set. Controller indeed showing DCE and correct clock rate.
    The serial properties have now changed. All properties that were up are now down, and all that were down are now all up.
    i.e. DTR, RTS up - DCD, DSR, CTS down

show cont se 0 says exactly the same as before, only with DTE instead of DCE.
    Absolutely nothing...
    All serial properties down, loopback set (check!), down/down, no packets and ping times out...

Ok - i actually stopped here, because it was clear the interface wasn't working and obviously nothing else would. If there's something i might have missed please do not hesitate to mention it :biggrin

EDIT: I got the same result on each serial interface on each router

P.S. The guy who gave me the routers upgraded the memory / ios on all these routers. I'm starting to think he might have had a dodgy ios version and that maybe i should scour the internet for a better (more up to date one) one.

Could anyone recommend the ios i should be using?

Currently 12.3(5b) on two of the routers with 14336k / 2048k memory and 16384k flash.

The Token Ring Router has 12.1(3)T with 14336k / 2048k memory and 8192k flash.

Thanks in advance...

12. NetEyeBall

I can check to see what version of IOS my 2509 and 2511 are running.

There is also a verify command you can run to check the integrety of the IOS. I am not familiar with the command though. I just saw it tonight.

13. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I just checked the "ios upgrade planner" at the cisco site. They've got lots of ios versions for the 2500s on general deployment and limited deployment.

I saw a 12.4 (presumably the latest), several versions of 12.3, some 12.2s and 12.1s. Plus lots of software feature sets like Enterprise and Enterprise plus ip etc... etc.

Without a username and password however you wouldn't be able to gain access. That's why I didn't bother posting a link. You'll need to register with the site first.

14. surfer_rosa

I've checked the site but my login doesn't allow me that far.

Guess i'll have to find an ios image somewhere else.

15. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I can download the image files for you, but I wouldn't know how to send them across to you.

Perhaps somebody on the forum can put us in the know.

16. surfer_rosa

I actually found some guy's website with an ios image on it. 12.3-18.

Cheers for the offer though! By the way, the images shouldn't be more than 16MB so you could probably email them.

Maybe i'll get one of you some other time :biggrin

17. surfer_rosa

Upgraded the 2 routers maxed out on RAM to the new ios version. Still getting the same problems...

The file was called c2500-is-l.123-18.bin - what does the is-l part mean, as it was the same as the previous image.

18. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Probably doesn't mean anything special, because all the other images have it. At least all the images I've seen in the 12.3 and 12.2 range.

19. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I've just checked the cisco site. The feature set offered with 12.3-18 is rather limited. You've only got IP, IP PLUS and Remote Access Server.

The older version 12.2-32 offers a much larger feature set such as Enterprise Plus, IP Plus, IP plus IPSEC 56 .... etc etc.

The older version probably offers a lot more because it's been out on general deployment a bit longer.

Whether or not the older version will be better for you because of the larger feature set, I really don't know.

20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You guys do know that without a SmartNET contract, it's not legal to use those IOS images, right? It might suck, but those are Cisco's restrictions. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!