My first gaming pc build

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Stuck in the Mud, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Stuck in the Mud

Stuck in the Mud New Member

Hi people,

I'm in the process of choosing the parts for my first gaming pc build and I just wanted to see what you thought. My budget is £7-800 and that's not including monitor or os. This is what I have come up with so far:

processor: intel i5 750 2.66ghz

motherboard: Asus p7p55d deluxe

graphics card: Asus ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

memory: g.skill ripjaw 4gb DDR-pc3-12800c8 dual channel kit

case: CIT 1001 Midi-ATX Gaming Case

I need some advice on a good power supply and cooling system too.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Get one of these bad boys !

http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-memory-tx950w-950-watt-high-performance-power-supply-6590.html

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-029-CM

3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I would like a new PC the last one i brought had 512mb ram about 4 years ago. But considering i spent all the free money i had out of a whole months wage on two fillings (That was on the NHS by the way), i doubt i will be able to afford one.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Get the Prolimatech Megahalem, right at the top of the leaderboards for air coolers. Attach 2 fans to it, one either side, one pulling air into the heatsink, the other out of it. and your laughing.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/prmeforinso7.html

another good choice is the Corsair H50, it's a pre filled water cooling system. No knowledge required. You just hook it up and go. Leaves a lot of room in your case which the above one will take up.

view this thread for all the information you will ever need;

http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/565007-guide-air-cooling-questions-answered-here.html

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

6. westernkings

Would him choosing an I7 system be a good idea instead? the price he is paying for them parts, he could drop another 50 on the processor, get a 920, and he can get that to 3.4ghz easily. Saying that, he could pay considerably less and get AMD instead. That would benifit him most I think.

As for the graphics card, don't fork out 240 quid for a card yet. Get an 8800GT or something just to tide you over until next year which isn't far away, DX11 is just around the corner with the 3XX series from Nvidia and the latest offerings from AMD. Makes no sense spending 250 now, and be limited to DX10. Hold off if you can.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The core i5 is a good choice for cpu much like the core 2 duo was the best cpu for a gaming pc.

If you want an ace cooler then have a look at the titan fenrir this cooler will allow for overclocking if your interested in doing so and the i5 is an ace cpu to overclock.

Your motherboard is an excellent choice also.

The only thing I would change is your choice of case but that is upto you, I would look at the Antec 900-2 or Antec 1200 or Coolermaster Cosmos S

I didn't see a power supply in your selection. The PSU should be you most important pick, Go for a corsair or seasonic PSU and you wont go wrong.

Seasonic actually make corsair power supplies. From your graphics card selection I recommend you go for a corsair 750TX atleast but at the moment some places are offering the 850TX for £10 more and corsair and seasonic have 85% efficiency ratings as oppossed to the usual 80%

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Stuck in the Mud

Thanks for the advice guys...

I'm a newb when it comes to graphics cards. Will the 8800GT run all current games perfectly? Can anyone else elaborate on this and offer some more advice? Cheers

10. westernkings

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/896MB-XFX-GTX260-PCI-E-20%28x16%29-2000MHz-GDDR3-GPU-576MHz-216-Cores-2x-DL-DVI-I-HDTV-plus-FarCry-2

Get the GTX 260. 140 quid. That's a fantastic card. and will tide you over more than well enough until the next generation cards. It won't handle huge resolutions at the highest settings. But it will handle almost every game out now, on highest.

11. greenbrucelee

yep I have a GTX260 and they are very good cards but like I said before stick with an i5 because there's no need in an i7 for gaming just as the core 2 duo was better than quad for gaming. You only need look at the bench mark results to see that the i7 is marginally faster and thats on high end apps not gaming so the price difference aint worth it.

plus the fact the i5 will overclock better than the i7 so you can get bertter results that way too.

i7s really are for the people who want the newest lates thing and have money to throw about imo
    i5 is the smarter choice.

I am building a lot of these new i5s and i7s at the minute so I know where my money would go.

12. Stuck in the Mud

Yeah I did some research into the i5, and I think it is definatley the right choice for me because im planning to overclock. Apparently you can get it to 4.13ghz on that motherboard.

13. greenbrucelee

yes you can indeed. With the titan fenrir cpu cooler you might be able to get more.

I built and overclocked this exact setup with the fenrir about a month ago and got it to 4.18 with no problem at all. Just make sure you buy a decent psu like the ones I suggested otherwise you could struggle if you buy a crap one.