My experience so far of applying for jobs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by EvilSmurf, Feb 18, 2011.

1. EvilSmurf

EvilSmurf New Member

Ok guys, as I stated previously I'm just coming to the end of my term in the RAF or I guess it will soon be the RFC again the way things are going!

Anyway, I've been getting some promising feedback from recruiters when applying for jobs about my skills being what they are looking for and they assure me that my CV will get shortlisted and forwarded on to the client for further consideration. Then thats it, no more feedback or anything - is this common? To give an idea of time frame some are about 3 to 4 weeks ago, although one e-mail surprised me as it was a 'no thanks' for a job I applied for 2 months ago.

Another eye opener was a question I got asked today - basically she said it would be helpful to put my address or postcode on the CV (I had stated my town) so she can decide whether its commutable for a job I applied for. Now surely its for me to decide whats commutable and what isn't? My previous station I was commuting 85 miles each way which shocked her - Some jobs I've been applying for are about 40 miles away. (Alexdc12's post "What do you make of this" looks similar to this issue)

I've attached my current CV, would you kindly give some feedback or slag it off if you like :ohmy, as there is so much knowledge on here I'm sure you'll know what to look for when shortlisting people

Many Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Can't see your attachment pal! :)

With regards to hearing back, quite common with recruiment agencies, i've had the same in the past - "Yeah your cv looks realy good, i'll forward it on" and nothing.

If 2 weeks pass i normally call them up and find out whats happening with it.

It's a funny one with commuting, i guess if they're interested in you they'll invite you for an interview regardless of the distance (Obviously within reason for the sort of role etc) - 9 times out of 10 at an interview i've always been asked how i'd get to/from work

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. EvilSmurf

EvilSmurf New Member

Thanks Apex,

Pressed the wrong upload button ..... whoops :oops:

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am no expert but at first glance it looks very cluttered and I would suggest tidying it up a bit, perhaps sort out the formatting.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

My point exactly its me whos gonna travel there everyday! if it is a long way and your willing to do it surely that shows that ur a dedicated indvidual???

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes... but it is also a factor as to whether you'll get tired of the commute. The employer's gotta take that into consideration. Every hire has some risk to it, and it is the hiring manager's responsibility to lower those risks as much as possible. If you hire someone with not enough experience, you risk the employee not being able to handle the job. If you hire someone with too much experience, you risk the employee getting bored with the job and moving on. And if you hire someone who lives far away, you risk losing them if fuel prices increase dramatically or if they eventually find the commute too burdensome.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!