My dilema.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by simongrahamuk, Aug 1, 2006.

?

Which Cert should I go for next?

Poll closed Aug 26, 2006.
  1. iNet+

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Server+

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 70-292

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 70-290 / 291

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. 70-270

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. Other

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok guy's this is your chance to have your say on 'my' future.

I'm a little undecided as to where my next certification lies. Here is the situation.

I feel that I know my way around MS things fairly well, ok, not to the standard required for the exams, but from a day to day aspect I can do the things that I need to do and easilly find out how to do the things I don't.

Firstly a few things on me:
    • Currently I'm an MCSA in 2k, but never really wanted to have that cert, it just sort of 'happenned'.
    • My job, and any foreseeable (sp?) job that I see myself doing in the future doesn't require me to me certified.
    • I am heading back to Uni in September to do a 'Top-Up' to BSc.

Now, I like to have something 'going on' in the background certification wise all of the time, but I'm not sure what cert I should go for. Here are the ones that I'm considering and why. Let me know your thoughts.

iNet+ - This seems to fit in well with what I do at work, and could go nicely with some of the things that I will be studying at University.

Server+ - Useful to have, shows a working knowledge of servers, and maintence / support of them.

70-292 - The single upgrade exam for MCSA's this is supposed to be a monster of an exam and I feel that I may not have the time I need to dedicate to it.

290 / 291 - forgoe the single upgrade exam and go for the two exam route, meaning that I will be slightly covering material that I am already familliar with, but may require less time commitment.

70-270 - Desktops are what I love about computers, I get the majority of my pleasure from computers when I'm dealing with desktops. This is also the only client MS OS that I'm not certified on since NT.

Other - Any suggestions welcome.

I look forward to your comments. 8)

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'd go with the iNet+ seeing as you are saying that it will fit in nicely with some of the stuff you'll be studying at uni.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say iNet+ as well. There is a huge overlap between iNet+ and Network+, so you have covered quite a bit just there!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

I'd go for the 292, for an updated MCSA.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Do what you love mate, take it from there.

Your passion + natural strengths will bring you success in leaps and bounds :)

Focus on them.

Just MHO

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Study Linux :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

SGUK,

I seriously have no bloody idea! but one thing i do know, whichever route you do decide to go, you will sucseed as you're a hard working and dedicated young soul and will try your utmost best to overcome any obstecals in your way...

Good luck bro!

8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Si,

I'd say go for the 270 desktop exam. You said you love that part of PC's and it's always going to come in useful at work or for friends asking for help. Doin something you love means you tend to put more effort into it and find it easier to do and understand so it should make this exam a cinch for ya!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Isn't that a quin-lemma?
    I'm ignoring 'other' as that would make it a sex-lemma which can be very frustrating!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Si,

If i were you, i would aim for MCSE; it seems to cover a good ground for Network admin and is still regarded highly by (potential) employers.
    Plus, you would probably breeze it. 8)
    Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. superal

superal Bit Poster

Do what you love - it will make it easier, if you dont 'need' a specific cert then just go with what you like.

On the other hand if you see yourself moving into another direction then you might want to choose 'one for the future'?

good luck whatever you choose.

There is no such thing as a bad choice here, I dont think!

Certifications: None in IT
    WIP: MCSE possibly maybe!?
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well so far it seems that 70-270 is leading the field.

Having had a think, and still unable to decide after reading the various suggestions I think that I am (for the forseeable future anyway) simply going to focus on my BSc which starts in September.

Financially and so that I still have a girlfriend / life I think that this is the best option for now. Perhaps when the University finishes for the summer next year I may have to start thinking about it again (there may even be Vista exams by then!), but until then as Gav's WIP says - I'm in hiatus. 8)

Thanks for the suggestions though, they're appreciated. :thumbleft

A friend who has no certs once said to me "never get certified, if you do you will spend all of your time trying to stay up to date with them and miss out on the pleasure of learning". I think he may have been right! :eek:

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I think you got to go with what your happy with and what you can afford!

But if you are going in the direction of Help desk or IT management then what about ITIL?

if not then MCSE

Good Luck Simon!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  14. Handyman

Handyman Bit Poster

Best thing is to look at your career path and see what the jobs your aiming for are looking for in the way of qualifications.

ITIL will be required at some point if your moving into helpdesk management wether you do it your self or your company does it as a whole.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, BTEC Nat Computing
    WIP: CCNA