My cv Opinions please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 16, 2008.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Whilst everyone has contributed a fair amount of sensible information needed on a CV no one has mentioned personalizing your CV for the role you're applying for. I think the personal profile has its place, but this has been overly rated.

Well if you want to go ahead and put a personal profile on your CV then by all means go ahead and do this. However, the most important thing to remember is that your CV should be legible, to the point and most importantly reflect your skills and experience for the role in question.

Lastly, seeking new employment is like a full time job on its own, so be prepared for this.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Good advice from all so far - I had a pretty shocking CV to start with, and it wasn't until I saw a colleagues that I decided to change mine (his missus was in recruitment and she knew what to look for).

I used a 6 line intro - reads pretty well and sells myself exactly how I would like to be seen.
    Followed by skills - separated into IT and non-IT specific sections

Employment history - tabulated with 2 columns - 1st: Employer & Date - 2nd: Role, responsibilities and achievements
    Role was a 1 liner explaining what it was, responsibilities were bullet-points about specific and outstanding skills that I learnt/used and achievements was anything that made me stand out from the crowd (ie, I did more above the rest of the staff)

Even if the job wasn't IT related I would expand especially if it showed me working in a team, customer service, responsibility etc.

Qualifications - ordered in "importance" - honours degree, certs, A-levels, GCSEs etc. (at last writing I didn't have any certs so maybe the order would change now... I'm not sure)
    Finally - current studies and ambitions.

In total, just under 2 pages.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When I get done at work later, I am going to do two new CVs I think I'll look at doing a CV that shows my skills and experience and a description of what I do now, then qualifications.

The second I'll try and do one thats more detailed.

I'll post both up and see what your opinions are.

Thanks for the help so far guys :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

My experiences exactly. Rather ironically if your CV is not up-to-scratch in term of presentation it literally drastically devalues your qualifications, as they are unlikely to even be glanced at.

A badly presented CV reflects the individual's work ethic, IMO.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

bullet points are good but loose the numbers it makes your cv look like a list. Download a few examples and get some ideas of layout and content and ways to spice it up using different font to high light areas and add some colour. try to get your details in the header and footer that way its the first and last thing they see :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. greenbrucelee

I have just done a extremely rough copy of another CV, please have look and give me some feed back. Its called CV4

Edit: when I enter my address details skills & jobs will be on two seperate pages.

7. greenbrucelee

I have just seen a job in the local paper adverstising for field service techs and helpdesk techs and I would like to apply for it. Theres not much info on the jobs but they are requiring a cv by email so any help would be appreciated.

8. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Looks better, though I would put your education/certs on the first page to complement your skills, as it is, its the last thing the look at, if they even get that far. (not saying anything about your CV Bruce, just a well know fact some CV don't get by the first page before they are binned.)

WIP: LIFE
  9. greenbrucelee

So you think it should be Skills and qualifications then previous jobs?

10. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Reworked your CV a little, (hope you don't mind) let me know what you think, it more like the layout of mine, but then I don't know if mine is any good.

Attached Files:

• cv5.doc
      File size:
      35.5 KB
      Views:
  11. greenbrucelee

It looks a hell of a lot better than mine did, I never thought of doing it that. Cheers for the help

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, I would go for that to.

The first list of skills seem a bit vague, the other skills & knowledge is much more “IT”. Perhaps ditch the first “skills” section?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Sparky

Looks good mate, I would still go for the personal statement first though. If not then it may go in the bin! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  14. greenbrucelee

Yep I think I'll do that. Does the other qualifications I have like school etc and Nvqs not matter?

15. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

No probs, the main thing is to write a really good cover letter. And tailor your cv to a job as much as you can.

Yup, just swap the two around. I just like hitting them with the buzzwords :biggrin, before giving them something to read.

16. greenbrucelee

Cheers for the help people :)

17. Shepherdess

Shepherdess Bit Poster

I know I am being petty but there are some typos (certifications, responsibilities). The personal statement is good. I think I would put your experience first and add bullet points again so that your potential employer does not need to read na essay.

Anyway, good luck :D

WIP: MCSE, MCTS
  18. Sparky

Yeah list them.

Perhaps order your CV like this...

-Contact Details
    -Personal Statement
    -Certs\Quals
    -Jobs
    -Refs (on request)

19. greenbrucelee

Hadn't done the spell checker yet :oops:

Cool, cheers for the help again mate. You've been very helpful to me lately :)

20. Sparky

No probs mate, some of the work\CV orientated threads you have posted I can relate to from a few years back when I was trying to get my first break in IT.

At the time I was driving a van for a living, just graduated uni, and have virtually no IT experience to note on my CV. All worked out in the end though! :biggrin