My cv Opinions please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 16, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would like your opinions on my CV, after my debts are done in 4 months I am going to have the freedom to be able to commute longer distances or even move to an area where job opportunities in IT are more readily available, so I am trying to get my CV prepared as I will sending it out like crazy once its upto scratch.

All opinions welcome.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

http://www.cvcl.co.uk/ :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  3. greenbrucelee

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It needs work mate.

For a start you need an personal statement. Something like “I am a A+ certified IT professional ... blah blah"

Also you need try and get as much “IT” onto your CV as possible. Try and expand on the network migration and what was done. Furthermore try and list some more general IT things you do at work, did you not say you log onto the server from time to time to cancel a process? You also mention SQL skills but don’t expand on it.

Personal Statement link
    http://content.monster.co.uk/14187_en-GB_p1.asp

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi GBL, your CV does need a little tidying otherwise its not looking bad at all. I personally, like the idea of bullet points but make sure you don't elaborate too much as that's for the interview settings.

Remember your CV is a marketing tool to get you to the interview table so that you can further enlighten the interviewer about your abilities etc.

When you have a minute have a look at the link below its very helpful, so go and fully utilize this info and you're good to go. Best wishes.

http://www.computingcareers.co.uk/v...3/cv-writing-workshop-minute-guide-writing-cv

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

For my tuppence:

First, I would remove personal pronouns (such as I). This may just be a personal preference thing, but I think using 'I did', 'i was', etc just looks unprofessional

Next, your CV jumps around a fair bit, group similar things together. Employment should all be in the same section. skills and quals should be together.

I would remove references. I dont provide references to anyone. Consider that you are handing this to agencies. Are your referees going to be happy when the agencies take it upon themselves to call them asking if they need any vacancies filled? Once you are offered a job, you can give the necessary references.

I also (personally) despise running a section over multiple pages, unless it cant be helped, such as with employment history. If it spans multiple pages, put a page break in there. Even in the cases of employment history, you can view each job as a section, and break between the sections if needed.

I agree that you need a personal statement.

Additionally, my other half works in recruitment. They reformat their CV employment histories so that there are two main columns. The left contains the job title held, and the right contains all the pertinent information on the job (dates, employer, responsibilities). This allows the employers to scan down the list at a glance to see the kind of jobs you have held. If you want to make it slightly less sparse on the left, you could include the dates. Given the nature of the content on the right, the details on the left will be clearly spaced.

If you are going for IT work, place greater emphasis on IT related duties. Go into detail explaining the tech used, etc. Briefly bullet the other points at the end of the list (it doesnt matter what your primary responsibilities are, you are highlighting what is relevant to the job).

I would also remove the "(whilst at university)". Its not relevant, and can be explained in the interview if required. You also need to include your job titles into the employment history, but thats kinda covered in what i said above.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. greenbrucelee

Cheers for the reply, I have never thought about a personal statement before I'll draft one up and edit My CV and post it back up. As for the network migration that is technically all I will be doing (not doing it till Saturday. I do have remapp drives, stop rips, and implement server failover procedures if the system we use gets into an infinite loop with some process. My SQL skills are just basic commands and from use when using Oracle at uni.

8. greenbrucelee

Cheers for the Link and advice :)

9. greenbrucelee

Cheers for that I value all your opinions, looks like I need to revamp the whole thing. I may do two and then post them both and get your opinions on hopefully the new and improved ones.

10. Sparky

Cool, I would definitely go for the personal statement. We had 300 applicants for the last IT position at work and I read through some of the CVs, if there wasn’t a personal statement then I just binned the CV as it just took too long to read through the whole thing.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  11. greenbrucelee

I am planning on taking and passing my A+ before I start sending the CV out so I am going to do the personal statement as if I have the A+ cert.

As for the statement would something a long the lines of this be ok: CompTIA A+ certified IT technican with a proactive concientious approach to working objectives. The next bit I am stuck with: I was thinking of putting I can priorotise own workloads or work as part of a team, learning & working with new technologies is something I find interesting and rewarding.

12. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

It's all over the place. The best way to have a nicely presented CV is to have it professionally prepared, and if you choose not to to are only denying yourself opportunities.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  13. greenbrucelee

I get the spare cash I'll do that, but i'd like to try and get it at least looking ok before I do that.

14. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Place technical, business ,personal skills, and qualifications on front page, current employment, previous employment and hobbies etc on second, if you are applying for IT jobs, i wouldn't bother going into detail about present/previous job functions that there were none IT related, just the usual, work as team, answer to manager, was responsible for this and that, keep it to the point.

Just my opinion, i know everyone has there on way of writing a CV.

WIP: LIFE
  15. Sparky

You might want to get say something like “..assisted the IT department with various daily tasks to gain valuable experience while managing my own projects”

Not sure if I worded that right, but if you can say you managed to keep your own work on track while you helped out the IT guys shows you can keep to deadlines and also shows an interest in IT.

Also for the network migration possibly say “..volunteered for out of hours network migration project to assist the IT department...”. Perhaps this is slightly exaggerated but there is no harm in that. 8)

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - you sure you're not just the Scottish Zebulebu mate? :biggrin

That's EXACTLY what I did for the last role I recruited for (second line bod, reporting to me and the Exchange admin). After the first sift removed the jokers we had 23 - NINE of them had no personal statement so went straight in the dusty bin. Out of the 14 left, five of the statements were dreadful - either ridiculously dull, written in appalling English (who the **** makes spelling mistakes on their CV for God's sake?) or just obvious bullshit. it ended up being the best interview panel I've held, and we recruited a guy who's still there now and is probably taking over my old job as Security Admin.

Seriously - the personal touch does sometimes help, no matter what recruiters might tell you. Also, never believe the old adage about a single or at most two-page CV - mine runs to almost four pages - with a top bottom & side margin of about 10mm and in Arial 8pt! It's the quality of the information on the CV that ultimately sells you as a person to a prospective employer.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Most people don't bother sending a cover letter with their CV/resume these days. If you want to stand out from the crowd, by all means, SEND ONE. It *does* make a difference.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Try to personalise every covering letter to each application, as it beats the scatter gun approach.

Obviously if you are going through a body shop this cannot be done well, which is why direct approaches to employers can on occasion pay off well.

This is rather like "Choosing your employer before you choose your job"

Also keep the covering letter to one page, and the CV to 4 pages or less...basically dont dribble on..

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  19. anniemac

anniemac Bit Poster

Yes I will go with that. I had my CV professionally prepared and since putting it on the net have had quite a few calls from agencies. It certainly worked for me.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Network +
  20. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Forgot about that Michael, I believe that's the reason I got my current job, it was the first time i bothered writing a decent cover letter, i made out how interested I was in the position and how hard I would work for a company.

I had a phone call within 30 mins of me sending it by e-mail:D

WIP: LIFE