My CV for criticism / opinions / appraisal :)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mikeyboy, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Been meaning to do this for ages,

Just wanted to post my CV to get peoples opinions on it - I am fairly happy with it, I get plenty of responses so it must be a reasonable one but just want to see if it can be improved at all :)

Attached Files:

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Looks good to me like i the layout you went for think a good choice of font to ,i went to detailed on mine cant give any pointers because im still learning to get it right myself but this looks good:thumbleft

Certifications: Ecdl A+ Mcp 271
    WIP: Network + Mcdst Then ????
  3. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Very good CV, very easy to read and straight to the point in terms of your skill set.

Are you aiming for a 1st/2nd line support role or are you looking to move onto the servers????, the reason I ask is that I would say in the short time Ive been on cert forums Ive learn't that displaying cetain certs can give potential employers the wrong impression.

For example you have displayed on your CV that your looking to take the MCSA and MCSE in the near future, Now if your applying for a 1st/2nd line role, an employer would look at this and think "as soon as he gets those certifications (MCSA and MCSE) he is going to jump on the first boat he can get onto out of this company to progress to his desired role to be able to make use of those certifications" thus making you not a good investment for the company, as it costs them money to train you and train another person to replace you should you not be at that company for long, due to finding alternative employment working on servers perhaps shortly after starting employment with "that company" which is what I assume you would be aiming for in the long run at this point in time.

So if you are aiming for a 1st/2nd line support role then I would take off the part on your CV explaining how you are looking to do the MCSA and MCSE, how ever if it is a very large company that administrate a large network then they could favour this greatly and you could look very attractive if they see potential in you progressing at their company.

Basically you can't really put your finger on what makes a CV great without a Job title/description to go by as the type of position or specific position you are applying for makes a huge difference, tailor your CV to match that vacancy then you might find your luck could change, I would like to emphasize the word "could" as everyone knows the job market is pretty bad at the moment.

If your applying for a job involving working on Servers then ignore everything Ive said :p

Hope thats some help to you :D Good Luck in your search!!

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  4. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi Alex,

Thanks for commenting :) that is a good point and I know what you mean, I just put it in there to show my end goal really but have never thought whether or not it would put people off... Funnily enough it was that sentence which was raised in the interview I went to on friday, as the IT manager asked what I wanted to do career-wise, as I had mentioned the MCSA/E on there - I said i wanted to learn the ropes with the smaller end of the scale (PCs etc) and work my way up to the server side of things... which she said it is what they are looking for :) so fingers crossed 8)

anyway guys keep the opinions coming in :D

5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Holy crap what font is that? don't know whether its my PC rendering it horribly or what but it looks horrible. Other than that, looks good!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

:lol::lol: It says it is Eras Light ITC :lol::lol:

It looks OK here... Although I never know what font to use, don't want to use Arial / Times New etc as they are just standard fonts and look old fashioned on paper, so wanted something which stood out a bit! I tried several before I picked this one but never know what are good "standard" fonts!

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Change the font mate, it looks weird.

Standard fonts aint too bad.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

A good CV, however a few pointers for you which may help you secure that all important interview.

You describe your current role as Operations Assistant. Coupled wih the fact you workfor a Courier, it sounds like an admin role directly relating to the primary function of the business. It is only upon reading the bullet points underneath that it becomes apparrent that you role is a technical one. I would change the job title to ICT Technical Support Analyst or IT Technican. Someone who is speed reading CVs might not actually read what you do for the job, and mistake it for being someone who books out couriers etc.

You are certainly very well qualified. I personally wouldn't bother with the personal statement bit, or if you do, play more emphasis on your technical skills and experience.

Best of luck.

Max

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  9. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys...

That is one thing which bothers me about my current job title, the fact it gives no hint as to my IT-ness... but I can't just make up a job title, can I?!?

Or can I? :)

And I will have a go at re-writing my personal statement, I haven't changed it for a while, I think its a good idea to keep it in there though :)

10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Put it as "Occupation" rather than job title - that should get you around it

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)