1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My CV and Cover letter

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tysfoot, Feb 5, 2010.

1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Hiya guys

just wanted to know what you thought of my cover letter and CV

As from what you will see i have no commercial experience in I.T nd the roles i want to go for is desktop support and 1st line. I may even have a job interview for a trainee I.T support position in the next few weeks as a frined of mine is a manager at a company and he said he may create a trainee position, and he has put my name forward to his boss.

Anyways, just have a look. The only thing i struggle on is in the CV is that im not selling myself to the industry, but i find it hard with the type of jobs ive had in the past

Thanks for looking anyway

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Hi.

I can not give you many good advice, as i struggling with the same problem i can not put the experience on my cv what i do not have.(i am an HGV driver).
    But i read other more experienced people cv-s and the advice what they give to each other.
    What i do is when found a good advice i try to use it on my cv.
    I read many job add-s (and the information behind them as well).
    I am not sending the same cv around, anytime a job coming up, i try to do a bit of research about the company, what they promise to their costumers, what their target, slogan, etc.
    I had a lot of irrelevant information on my cv what i just took off.
    I do not think any HR-IT manager want to know about how many bags you can carry, as they probably do not give a ****t how big is the lorry i can drive.
    So i would take this off, and put something more about interacting/facing costumers, etc.
    If you can get the chance through this friend do not miss it!!!( i would not)
    Check a couple of interview books before you go, if you do not want to buy one go to your local library..
    ohh and one more
    good luck with the career change:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I haven't gone through them with a fine toothcomb, but on first read I'd say you've done a pretty good job there.

You've managed to get all your skills and responsibilities working for you.

Fair play.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'd put in something about your school education - as at the moment I (as a possible employer) have no idea how you have done compared against the national benchmarks of GCSEs/A-levels etc.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Key skills is about the only thing I can find issue with; avoid putting Mastery, Excellent or anything like that because your definition of excellent varies from other peoples and the same point with "Master new packages in a short time". That could come back to bite you very quickly.

Apart from that it's pretty good.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. rlm876

rlm876 New Member

You might find it helpful to take a look here for advice on writing cover letters.