My copy of Mike Meyers A+ AIO has just arrived!

Discussion in 'A+' started by Ruthi-B, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Ruthi-B

Ruthi-B New Member

Hi

Well it arrived yesterday and last night I read through the first chapter. OMG how HUGE is this book! I know. It has to be huge cos there's so much info to take in.

So where do I go from here? Do I pay and book my exam now (for 3 years time!!), or do I read through the book properly once then book the exam and re-read the book?

There's something in the first chapter about how no-one should ever pay full price for the exams, is that just for the US & Canadian people or can we Brits find discount vouchers somewhere?

Certifications: None IT related
    WIP: CompTIA A+ - Self Study
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Start reading the book if start to feel very comfortable with the material book the exams, or you could do what I did and read the book then go through it again highlighting points.

You can buy discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com make sure you buy international vouchers. You use the vouchers instead of a credit card when booking the exam. They cost £107 each with no VAT to pay if you pay pearsonvue directly its £111 + vat which is about £266 in total.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Read the book first and see how you're doing with understanding the material. You don't know what obstacles you might face down the line that slow down your progress. Plus the tests can be booked with very little notice so why rush to book them, give yourself time to learn the material.

WIP: A+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Unless the formatting of the book has changed over the years, in the front matter (the parts before the chapters begin) of the book there should be a section describing how best to study. As I recall, Meyers suggests reading through the book once, like a novel, to get an overlay of the material, then go back and study the specific areas in detail.

Fortunately, Meyers has a very easy going writing style, so his presentation is very comfortable.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

interestingly Mike Meyers actually advises booking the tests first to make you do it. Thats following his guidelines for how many hours it should take to learn each bit,
    Personally i would still rather learn it first then book it when ive just got to revise, nothing usually goes to plan, such as this week i have had a whole week off work to dog sit and planned to read loads of the book, I ended up sitting down twice reading a chapter each time because i hadnt banked on how hard it was to read with a dog climbing on your head and biting your ears :lol:

6. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

I always book my tests in advance, but then again I have motivation issues, booking in advance whips me into study mode. It's purely a mental thing, depends on the type of person you are.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep - everyone studies and schedules exams differently. I don't schedule my exam until I understand the concepts and am reasonably sure I'll pass. Then again, I can typically schedule my exams for the next day (and at worst, within the week), as there are plenty of test centers in my area. If I were to schedule my exams in advance, life would happen... kids would get sick, work projects would come up, etc... and through no fault or slacking of my own, the day would arrive far too quickly. It'd be my luck that I'd forget the date and time (and location!) that I scheduled it for! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Ruthi-B

Ruthi-B New Member

Thanks for the advice. Think I shall be reading it through a couple of times first before booking the exam.

Certifications: None IT related
    WIP: CompTIA A+ - Self Study
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good Luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Everyone's study methods are different, I tend to need a bit of stress to keep me going so I get the general understanding of the subject matter, book the exams and give myself a target, plus give myself the weekend and the monday, tuesday to revise and go through everything. I always do the exam on a wednesday.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  11. postman

postman Byte Poster

I'm still trying to get through my first read of the book, but after that I'll read it again (and again and again) the read the areas that I feel are not my strongest (usually by looking at the test results on the exams).

BTW what a great avatar Fenella Fellorick the Kettle Witch :D