My CCNA / HND Computer networking blog

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by datarunner, Nov 13, 2007.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi all

im a 2nd year computer networking student (CCNA / HND) and i would like to start my own blog discussing the things we were taught that day. at the moment we are studying routing and switching using physical equipment and router sim. Would this be possible in this thread (or at all)? i will update daily and all comments / help would be very welcome. regards.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i would be keen since im a 2nd year in a B.Sc Comp networks major... althought our program doesnt include Cisco stuff i would be keen to learn from it...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

OK i will summarise what we have been taught so for and post it tho it might be basic for some members. Any error corrections or further info is greatly appreciated especiallyfrom those who work with this stuff daily.

regards

4. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Intro to routing protocols

A router must have a routing table to route information.
    2 methods exist to create these tables - Static and Dynamic

With static the network admin manually enters the routing table
    This is done via the command line interface and must be configured in both directions otherwise traffic will only be one way
    Used for backup communications or for specific connections / cost lowering

With dynamic the routing protocol adjusts the routing table automatically for topology or traffic changes
    2 main types: IGP (Interior gateway protocol) and EGP (Extension gateway protocol)
    IGPs operate within an autonomous system (IGRP, RIP, EIGRP, OSPF)
    EGPs connect different autonomous systems (BGP)

Routing Algorithms

No matter which routing protocol you use an algorithm will be run to define the routes available. These algorithms can be grouped in to 3 distinct areas:

Distance vector - Will determine the direction (vector) and distance (hops) RIP, IGRP
    Hybrid - Uses a combination of distance vector and link state EIGRP
    Link state - Uses shortest path OSPF

5. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

A useful introductory summary. One thing to watch out for - strictly speaking, eigrp is a distance vector protocol. Although it is often refered to as a hybrid protocol it is actually a distance vector protocol. This can lead to one of those times when there is a "test" answer and a "real world" answer - a test question may expect you to call eigrp a hybrid protocol, but at its heart it is a DV protocol, with some unique features. But on tests eigrp is generally considered a hybrid protocol.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  6. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Yeah I'd definitely like to see what you learn as I am thinking about doing the CCNA after the MCSA.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  7. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

thanks for the encouragement guys. I will add some more stuff l8r

8. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

RIP Versions

RIP (Routing information protocol) comes in 2 flavours

RIP version 1 only supports classful IP addresses / subnet masks (wont route / recoqnise subnetted networks)
    RIP version 2 can support classless (subnetted networks, CIDR, VLSM etc)

Routers set up with RIP will send RIP info at regular intervals and during these intervals will tell neighbouring routers about networks they have attached to themselves. Also any newly found networks will be advertised but the routers will alter the hop count metric to reflect how far away these networks actually are

Amazing things routers.

9. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Routers

OK as we have an assessment on routers next week i thought id include some of the stuff we will be tested on. The info will be based around CISCOs 1841 / 2600 routers, IOS 12.4 and some basic router commands

So what is a router?

A network device that forwards data from network to network, ie from a LAN to another LAN, or LAN to WAN etc. As routers work at layer 3 of the OSI model they forward data based on the logical (IP) address and because they function at layer 3 they can connect different types of networks ie FDDI to ethernet.

Router Components

Routers are similar to PCs in that they have:

• Processor
    • System bus
    • Interfaces
    • Memory

The main componenents of a router are:

RAM - stores the routing tables, loses its contents when powered down
    NVRAM - holds the config file and is not lost when powered down
    ROM - holds the bootstrap that loads the basic OS and performs POST. OS upgrades

Connecting To A Router

Alot of routers come with a GUI controlled via a web interface however most if it not all CISCO routers run an OS with a command line interface. To connect to this interface we use a PC connected to the routers console port via console / roll over cable. We connect this cable to a COM / SERIAL port on the back of the PC using a DB-9 connector.

Once we have done this we run a windows utility called hyperterminal and set it up with the following settings:

Choose COM port 1 or 2
    Set the baud to 9600
    Set the parity bit to 0
    Set the data bits to 8 (default)
    Set the stop bits to 1 (default)
    Set the flow control to None

We are now able to connect to the router and use its OS. We start this by pressing enter.

Router Modes

Once the router has booted up we are prompted to press enter. Here we are presented with a > prompt. This is admin or user exec mode. Information can only be viewed here.

To get from admin / user exec mode we type en. This takes us to privileged mode and is represented with a # prompt.

To get to global exec mode we type conf t and this is represented with router(config)#

To switch between admin / user exec modes we type enable or disable
    To switch between other modes we type exit or CTRL Z to return to admin / user exec mode

Passwords can be set between modes

10. Delgee

Delgee Bit Poster

Usually hyperterminal is mentioned because it comes with windows. But there are many other softwares dedicated for configuring routers, switches etc... A very good example is SecureCRT application.
    Also the baud rate doesn't really have to be 9600. Yes almost all equipments support this rate but many equipments can also support higher rates 115200 etc...
    I think the most important thing routers do is route the traffic, find the best path and do the best effort-delivery.
    Good luck and will comment on your posts in future. Keep up the work :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNA Voice