My Blog.....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by paulwatson5, Oct 12, 2009.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Since i found this website i have bee addicted and i read it every day.
    I'm 27 and love computers but no qualification as such except GNVQ Intermediate & Advanced.
    Its time to get a job, but first i might wanna try to get a few certs!!

I have done a load of research and i beleive this is the best way to MCSE, from the bottom!!

A+ 220-601 Essentials £114
    A+ 220-602 £114

Network + N10-004 (2009) £169

MCDST 70-271 £88
    MCDST 70-272 £88

MCSE
    70-290 £88
    70-291 £88
    70-293 £88
    70-294 £88

70-270 £88
    70-297 £88
    70-299 £88

A grand total of £1189 for the whole lot.
    Much better than any training provider who will charge £3,000+ just for the MCSE!!!

These are all of the upto date costs from the Prometric Website.

You will obviously need books.

I dont like buying books full price, although i would if i had the money.
    I have scouted ebay for the best books out there and as i have plenty time, im in no great rush...
    So far i have aquired
    CompTIA A+ Cert All In One - Mike Meyers 6th Edition - £6 and £2.75 delivery
    CompTIA Network + All In One - Mike Meyers 3rd Edition - £4.99 and £2.75 delivery
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003 (Not latest edition i know) 99p and £2.75 delivery.

All i need now is the PC Technician Street Smarts book which i cant find second hand anywhere, even ebay!
    These books will get me through the A+ and Network + (I beleive)
    Then i will start my research on the MCDST & MCSE Books.

Hope this mini guide has helped a few people who are like me........

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
    Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Hi Paul,

You will find that a majority of replies will tell you not to even attempt booking exams which are for the MCSE until you have the relevant experience needed to take that exam. You can find the experience each of those exams require on the MS website, but you're basically looking at at least 3/4 years before you hold the MCSE qualification.

eg. 70-270 (Installing, Config.... XP PRO)
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-270

It would be around the one year mark where you have enough experience to take this exam, or at least enough experience to PROVE you know the stuff on the exam that you have passed.

Anyway I'll let the others educate and advise as they have been doing this a lot longer than I :)

Good luck mate!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

No need, was a good answer, repped!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

yeah, i know.... after the A+ and N+ you would hopefully have a job, or at least be looking for a tech support job while doing or after the MCDST etc.
    The MCSE is a very long and hard exam which may take a few years, the good think about it is that its split into 7 exams so you can work at ur own pace.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

And keep in mind that that's not one year of being in IT... that's one year of server administration experience, which doesn't typically happen right off the bat. Most people have to work their way through entry-level/helpdesk and desktop administrator positions before being allowed to even touch a company's servers.

Also, keep in mind that they don't recommend a year of experience before GETTING the MCSE... they recommend a year of experience before STARTING the MCSE. They recommend this for a couple of reasons. First, you're much less likely to understand what you're studying without having that real world experience. So not only will it take you longer to study, you'll also absorb less of it.

Despite all that, you still might be able to pass. But even if you do, what will the certification be worth without the corresponding experience level? To employers, not much, I can promise you. They've been burnt far too many times in the past by hiring MCSEs on the basis of the certification alone. There's even a term for people who have certified but don't have the experience level of an MCSE - they're called "paper MCSEs". Know where the CVs of paper MCSEs end up? In the little round bin underneath the IT manager's desk.

Take things one step at a time, Paul. There's no rush; it's not a race. Focus on what's ahead of you NOW - it's gonna be hard enough to get into IT, much less start administering servers. Stick to the A+, Network+, and MCDST, and no farther. Leave the MCSE where it is until you gain about 6 months of server admin experience, then pursue the MCSA.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!