My awful BT Internet connection... Advice much needed please...

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by albertc30, Jan 30, 2009.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.
    I have posted this issue a while back but here it goes my dilemma once again.
    I was just on the phone to BT Broadband support.
    I had a line problem a while back that was giving me noise and crackly line which was causing my BT Home Hub to crash and reboot and on my Cisco router 1721 was causing my atm0 (Dialer0) to flap constantly, line up and down every 5 minutes.
    Engineers came round and did found a problem on the outside cable and done whatever needed and noise is gone and no more flapping. Issue one was sorted.
    Now issue two. My download speed. My router (BT Home Hub) reports a download-stream of 7,808 Kbps and an upload of 448 Kbps. As you can see bellow and in pictures attached my download speed is a bit unstable. I still remember that I used to download NAV virus definitions file from their website at an average o over 300 Kbps, now all I can have is a lousy 58 ish Kbps and not only just that but any other download I try from anywhere, it doesn't matter where from, the fastest ever will always be at around 58 - 59 Kbps maximum.
    I have bought an I-Plate and had it put in to place and decided to call them about my connection. The only thing I wanted was to have my line profile reset so that I could maybe see some improvement due to some reduced attenuation and improved signal to noise ratio.
    I call them twice. The first time they couldn't do anything as I had done a speed test on their website and I would have to wait 3 hours but this first time the tech guy told me that definitely something was wrong as I do have a good downstream rate so therefore I should be getting something way better then 58 Kbps, he said something about my profile not being updated since the tech that came round to sort out the line, reason as to why I am having such slow downloads.
    I then called, this lady answered and done once again some tests and everything was fine and there was simply nothing more she could possible do to get my connection better. I said to her "Well then, surly there is something I can most definitely do about it, which is to cancel my internet connection.
    My next door neighbour is on BT on their medium package paying less and still gets downloads average 200 Kbps, this is a laugh....
    Anyways, in my opinion this all has started when BT called with an offer of £2.00 less for another years contract which sadly my misses thought to be a good deal so she went for it, ever since it has been the worst service ever.
    Please guys see pics attached and please have your say and help me. I can't really afford the time to have my internet connection cut out and another one put in due to my CCNA so help anybody?
    Thanks for your time.

[​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. albertc30

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Buddy - if you think this is bad, just wait until you see my report on the installation of my mother's broadband by Virgin media - I'm going to write a complaint letter this weekend and will post it up here. Suffice it to say that you got sterling service compared to the dross I've had to put up with!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The first pic (on the left) is the key. It shows that your IP profile is set to 500. The speeds you are getting are consistent with that.

It all depends on the type of line you have, and whether you have waited 5 days or so since the old faults were cleared.

If it has been more than 5 days try switching the router off overnight and see if the profile improves.

Otherwise contact BT and mention the poor IP profile.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. albertc30

That was exactly what I done yesterday and the first technician did said that but the second one said everything was ok with my line that the downstream reported by the router indicated a really good line and I should have a 6Mbps internet connection.
    Go figure...:x d*** BT Tech support...

I'll do what you have mentioned over night and see what happens... Cheers

6. albertc30

Hello good news hopefully.
    In was yet again on the phone with BT Broadband tech support and the guy said that he did tried to reset my line profile but he couldn't do so as it was reporting a problem with my BT Home Hub, so they are sending me another one and see what happens. I think it won't do any good as my modular cisco 1721 works fine and it's the same as well.
    Let's see the results anyways, but I'll still do what was sugested here, I shall leave the router switched off over night.

One question guys and girls. Is my line attenuation and SNR good? Please see picture.

I have been on adsl 24 and they have a table that says that if my downstream is 7,808 kbps I should then have an IP line profile of 6.500 kbps not 500 kbps.

Please advise.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

If your getting dropping connections and initialisations then this will prevent your b-RAS from increasing, have you noticed any drops lately? I work for BT so PM me if you want more help.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Your Cisco 1721 will likely choke on your 6 meg connection. We upgraded multiple 1721 sites from a T1 to a four-way bonded T1 connection, which should have given us 6 megs of bandwidth. However, we couldn't get any better than 3 megs through the connection. Did some packet analysis and saw that the router would receive 6 megs... then choke... then receive 6 megs... then choke. Turns out that the 1721 is only designed to handle T1 line speeds. We changed to a switched infrastructure and the problem disappeared, getting the full 6 meg pipe. Alternatively, we could have upgraded to 1800-series routers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!