Multiple SSIDs, 1 Access Point same Channel?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Wireless_Snake, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Hi all. Its been a while since my last post I tend to read more than I write. Today I have a question...

If you have an access point which supports multiple SSIDs do you have a seperate channel per SSID or per radio? To me it sounds strange to have all SSIDs on the same channel when thinking about it if you were to have more than 3 SSIDs on a single access point how would you have non-overlapping channels? I just need some verification really. I know I have kinda answered my own question but today I was sure that it should be different but now I starting to think I was wrong :oops:

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

As far as I know, the selected channel is used for the entire Access Points.
    The non-overlapping channels are used to to guarantee access points don't have interference from neighbouring devices.
    Imagine you have 3 AP's close to each other and let's say each has these 3 SSID's

- DATA
    - VISITOR
    - MOBILE

Suppose all SSID's have a differentiating unique non-overlapping channel on the b/g band (1,6,11) and all three access points are within each other's range.
    Now they would have interference on each and every channel from the neighbouring access points, because they are using the same channels, only for different SSID's.

The following picture shows how to place your AP's correctly, assuming you have enough overlap:

[​IMG]

Hope this solves your question :)

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

tried to find the answer on google but will take an educated guess...

think single ap, single SSID, one channel - you can have many simultaneous connections on the same channel, that's the way it works in every soho router, doesn't it?
    if you define more than one SSID on the same ap, why would you need different channels for them? You could have different SSID to separate traffic (a bit like VLAN's).
    I don't know if ap's actually can work on different channels at the same time? If not, it would answer your question.

4. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Cheers for your replies.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP