Multiboot setup for Win 98; 2000; XP & Linux

Discussion in 'A+' started by freeflyer, Mar 6, 2007.

1. freeflyer

freeflyer New Member

Hi, I’m just about to create a multiboot system that offers a range of flavours including Windows 98, 2000, XP Home or Pro and Linux.

I wanted get some advice & feedback from the forum on my prospective set up (below) in as much as choosing the right order of install and which O/S goes on which disk, in hope that any obvious errors are avoided before I start.

I plan on using two separate HDD’s with the first HDD formatted as DOS / FAT32 for Win 98 & the 2nd HDD being formatted as NTFS. I am aware of the issues / problems using NTLDR with a non Microsoft O/S’s multiboot setup, but luckily I have the option of using BootMagic that came with the copy of Powerquests Partition Magic I have. I have no Linux experience as yet either.

Anyone done this before? Any advice & ideas appreciated; Thanx in advance!

Setup plan is:
    HDD1; partition 1 set as primary partition using FAT32 for Win 98
    Partition 2 to be extended DOS partition, which will be subdivided into 2 logical partitions for;
    Partition 3; Fat32 data store
    Partition 4: possible later Linux install

HDD2; partition 1 set as primary partition using NTFS for Win 2000
    Partition 2 to be extended partition, which will be subdivided into 3 logical partitions for;
    Partition 3; XP Pro or home
    Partition 4; NTFS data store
    Partition 5; possible later Linux install

Does this sound right?:oops:

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Install the oldest OS first, then install each newer OS. Separate partitions, as you've indicated. Not sure about when to install Linux... probably the last OS to install.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've done this in the past. My take on this is that it is *very* easy to break.

I'd agree with BBM that 'oldest first' is best. Even better is to get plug-in trays and cheap drives to go in them, and put in one OS per drive. That is *much* more stable!

Harrry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Pehaps install virtual PC or something like that? Just another option to consider :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Defo the easiest and least frustrating route.

Steve

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, I haven't set up a multiboot computer in years. Really not many reasons to, these days.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Fire guy

Fire guy Bit Poster

If it was me doing this I would dedicate a whole disk to the Linux installation simply because this is the easiest, least confusing route. You will see what I mean when you come to install Linux and it asks you where you want to put its many partitions.

I would also install Linux last of all as it is the most flexible and will give you the choice of which bootloader to install and what boot options you would like (this is distro dependant but suse or mandriva will do it).

hope this helps

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+