Multi serial port -> usb adapter

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by alfa145, Nov 12, 2007.

1. alfa145

alfa145 Bit Poster

Wonder if anyone can help me - I'm looking for a multi rs232 to usb adapter, so that I can have one machine that has access to all switches through the serial console. I am looking for something similar to this:
    http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-4X232&cats=199&catid=199,469

But in the UK, I can't seem to find one anywhere, anyone any ideas?

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

How about This?

Or This

All I did was a 2 second search on google for "multi-serial usb adapter" and set it to uk only.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. alfa145

alfa145 Bit Poster

So did I, and like your first link the only suitable products I got were in $'s, or proper network enabled serial servers costing £300. I must have missed the 2nd one though, thanks for that.

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

no problem. Looks like the bottom one on that second link is identical to the link you gave.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

alfa145,

What are the make(s) and model(s) for "...all switches?"

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. alfa145

alfa145 Bit Poster

All the models are Cisco, switches are 2900 series, routers are 2501's. I just wanted the ability to have more than one connected at a time - as I'm in the learning stage, I keep losing access!

7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

alfa145,

Which exact models are your "2900 series" switches?

8. alfa145

alfa145 Bit Poster

2924 & 2950

9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Questions:
    1. How many Cisco 2501 routers do you have?
    2. Which version of IOS are on each of your Cisco 2501 routers?
    3. How did you determine that you've "...,[lost] access...?"

10. alfa145

alfa145 Bit Poster

Hold on... I don't have a specific problem. I've got 2 2501's, and the 2 switches above for my lab, whilst playing with different config options etc I sometimes lose access to the other switch/router, meaning I can't then telnet via TCPto get it back. I have to use the console cable over serial - so to save me keep swapping leads about and dropping other sessions I thought it would be handy to have one old pc that could run the 4 telnet sessions all in one go via the serial console cable, then regardless of configuration screw ups, I've always got access to them all!
    So it's really to battle my laziness :)

11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

alfa145,

You need to understand that "loss of connectivity" issues is a consequence of not understanding what you're doing with "...different config options..." Intentional loss of connectivity due to security such as access control lists is different than unintentional loss of connectivity due to not understanding what you're doing.

Questions:
    1. What do you mean by "...console cable over serial...?"
    2. What do you mean by "...serial console cable...?"
    3. Why are you having "...configuration screw ups...?"
    4. Since it sounds like you've got actual equipment, why not practice proper implementation and troubleshooting all the way down to the Physical Layer? If you want to avoid the "hassle" of the physical layer issues, then you should have gotten a network simulator instead of actual equipment.
    5. Troubleshoot this, what if you couldn't telnet into a router due to "...different config options..." so the only access you have is through the console port? What if all you've got is the single console cable? It's still possible to troubleshoot using a single console cable. So please, for your own sake, do not try to shortcut this important lesson by trying to use a "one size fits all" solution that only helps to increase your ignorance by decreasing your exposure to actual issues within limits to include using only one console cable.