MTA - Network Fundamentals

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Elliot28, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Elliot28

Elliot28 Bit Poster

Hi all,

I have been looking into getting into Networks, I wanted to learn the basics, a guy a work recommended the Network Fundamentals over the Network +

Would everyone else agree?

I am currently working as a desktop Support engineer.

Appreciate all your help

Thanks
    Elliot

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It's personally preference really, Microsoft has pitched the MTA as comparable to Comptia certs.

Other things to consider:

Network+ has to be renewed every 3 years; different options to renew, eg sit a newer Network+ exam, sit a higher Comptia exam (ie Security+), CPD route. Network+ is more well known compared to the MTA. Higher renewal costs. Does contribute to the Comptia Service Center credential for your organisation (if your organisation goes for it).

MTA Networking Fundamentals will expire after 5 years; only way to "renew" is to resit the exam, alot cheaper than the Network+, does not contribute to any MS partner status.

The MTA's initially was only available to academic partners, however it has been opened up to everyone.

Another thing to take into consideration is that while Comptia certs can be taken at any Prometric or Vue testing centre, you will have to find a Certiport testing centre that delivers MTA exams (not all Certiport centres deliver those exams).

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    Elliot28 likes this.
  3. Elliot28

Elliot28 Bit Poster

Thanks very much, what material did you train with?

I am looking into doing the Security and Server along site the networks but thought I would try the networks out first.

There is a local test centre about 10 minutes up the road that does the MTA exams, the prologic ones i believe I have to travel an hour away.

Are the exams hard?

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The term hard is a fuzzy term, for me the MTA's weren't hard, but for others they maybe.

While I didn't use any study materials for the MTA exams, what I've been recommending are the study guides from Certiport.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    Elliot28 likes this.
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Any exam is as hard as you make it. Learn the material, pass the exam.

6. Elliot28

Elliot28 Bit Poster

Thanks very much, I will check it out.

Is it best to start with a particular one, network server or security or any one?

Thanks
    Elliot