MSPress 272 Minidir tool

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by supernova, Jun 12, 2009.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I thought i would go through the process of using the Minidir tool to simulate an exchange server, practising adding exchange account to outlook. I know what is suppose to happen, the name is meant to underline.

However, when i check name i get a dialogue box asking for a username and password, which i dont think is meant to happen according to the book.

Any Ideas ?

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Don't worry about it, it's easy enough to set up an exchange account through outlook.

Use the wizard, choose the exchange option and then enter the exchange server name and the username.

When you click Check Name, this checks AD and makes sure it's valid blah blah blah.

If you're doing this for 272 practice, you're going over the top...

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. supernova

Really the practice is in the 272 book and utility is on the CD

Yeah i know its simple adding an exchange account , i just wondered if anyone was having the same issue with this mindir utility.

I'll leave it for the time being and move on.

Cheers

4. Qs

All the in-built apps on the MS press CD seem sketchy to me, lol. :p

Personally, I didn't bother with the utility given the task is so simple. I didn't get tested on it on the 272, and I doubt there's a focus. You'd be better concentrating your efforts on the more annoying stuff. The differences between POP and IMAP, for example.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. supernova

seems i have overestimated this exam in many areas, oh well will help with the others i suppose

cheers Q ..... errm sounds like a line from James Bond

6. Qs

No probs.

I always go over the top with my notes too, it doesn't hurt to totally hammer the objectives as it may help you in the future (be that with other exams, or real-world issues).

Adding a user's account to exchange using the built-in wizard though...? There are better things to worry about :p

Qs

7. supernova

Not if its failing :wink:

8. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

I agree, there are other things to worry about than creating an exchange account, I failed my first exam 70-272 because I didnt know what to expect, I didnt get any questions to do with accounts though.
    Its true, questions like difference between POP and IMAP are the ones need attention.

good luck mate:)

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  9. supernova

With all due respect. If something is in the MS Press book as a practice i tend to cover it regardless.

why does everyone think i am so worried about this?

I already know how to setup an exchange account in outlook, i already know about POP3 and IMAP for that matter, However, that's not the point.

My query is about the minidir tool, i just wondered if anyone came across the same issue with that tool,
    i am not going to loose any sleep over it.

10. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

ive never said you are worried, i meant there are some sections that needs more attentions than others, i never said you dont know how to create exchange account nor POP/IMAP. i just gave examples and had nothing to do with you and i was just sharing my opinion.
    Im using MSpress practice too and didnt come across the minidir tool yet!!

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Strange one. Never used minidir before but for some reason it is asking for authentication credentials. How does the tool work? Is it running on the same PC as the one that has Outlook installed?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. supernova

Sorry that's how it was coming across to me , not just your post but IM's etcs

As for the MSpress book its on Page 4-20, Exercise 3.

13. supernova

Yes it's asking for authentication credentials.
    You just copy Minidir to a local folder and run it from a cmd
    enter server in outlook as local IP (also tried localhost)

I'll try it on a clean VM when i have time, lost track of the crap on this lab pc's (why i am using VMs more). its that not important.

14. supernova

Ahhh this has just comeback and bitten me.

Had practice questions regarding advanced exchange settings, which i haven't studied because i cant set up an account to get to them, due to this dam Minidir tool not working.

these were in the messureup exams that came with the book

helps if you have your eyes open ;)

:(