1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSDOS question

Discussion in 'A+' started by robbo1962, Apr 9, 2007.

1. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

I am working my way through the OS part of A+ and am currently trying to view/edit various sysem files,if i understand it correctly MSDOS.SYS is a text file that runs before the GUI kicks in. Having set the folder options to show hidden files my MSDOS.SYS file comprises of 0 KB and on opening it shows nothing, could someone explain why this is and if i don't have an MSDOS.SYS file what one replaces it? I am running Windows XP Thanks Gary

Certifications: A+
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello robbo, excellent Avatar picture:clap :thumbleft

Have a look at this link it shows you how to edit the MSDOS.sys file from Microsoft website. I would paste the instructions here, but I think that would break the copyright procedures:rolleyes:

it's at the bottom of the page:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

Thanks for the link Cheek, i can access the MSDOS.SYS file, but it does not have anything in it. I notice the article says it applies to Windows 95/98 and Millenium so perhaps its different for XP.

4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

Thanks Raffaz, nice link.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

MSDOS.SYS being a text file is a Win9x thing. Before then it was a binary, and on the NT track isn't used AFAIK. I suspect it is 'there' so that some of the Win9x compatability stuff will work

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+