MSCE Path

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by loca1hero, Jan 20, 2010.

1. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Hi
    I need some of your comments on this, I found this post in connection with MCSE on the internet .. check the post,

~~~~~~~~~~~Magnify Your Certifications in Six Exams~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many readers have asked me which exam route they should take in pursuing MCSE certification. This month, I am focusing on that question.

First, there is no single correct path. If you have been working with a particular product for a long time, then it will be easier for you to study for and pass an exam on that product than for a product you have no experience with. Aside from that, many persons will tell you that you should take the Networking Essentials exam first. The idea is that the Networking Essentials exam gives you a solid foundation for all the others, and that you should get the tough exam out of the way first.

I disagree. The Networking Essentials exam is nothing but memorization, which makes it one of the hardest exams out there. It is also the only Microsoft exam for which you do not get certification. Any other exam-if it is your first exam-makes you an MCP automatically. Why wait for two exams to become an MCP?

Here is my ideal path through the process-with certifications gained each step of the way-and my reasons for my choices:

1. Windows NT Server (70-067). You gain MCP status after passing this exam, which is one of the easiest exams available now. Windows NT is a product, and the exams for it have been divided into three parts: Server, Enterprise, and Workstation. The Workstation exam has all the questions about unattended installations, and the Enterprise exam has all the questions on trust relationships and domain models. These facts make the Server exam a good choice for a first test.

2. Windows NT Enterprise (70-068 ). Only 20% of the Enterprise exam covers material that wasn’t on the Server exam. Learn the new material and take the test while the Server exam is still fresh in your mind.

3. Windows NT Workstation (70-073). This exam is also a subset of the Server exam. Learn the new material and pass the test while the other two NTexams are still fresh in your mind.

4. TCP/IP (70-059). You had to learn a good bit about TCP/IP for the three previous exams. Now focus on the specifics of subnets (DNS, DHCP, WINS, and so forth) and pass this test. There are much harder exams out there than this one.

5. IIS (70-087). You gain MCP + I status after passing this exam. There is a great deal of overlap between TCP/IP and IIS, and there is a slight overlap between NT and IIS. Not only is the IIS exam a good one, but it also gives you a certification that carries value in the marketplace.

6. Network+. Instead of taking Microsoft’s Networking Essentials exam, take CompTIA’s new Network+ exam. Passing this single exam earns you the Network+ certification. What’s more, Microsoft accepts this exam as credit for the networking portion of the MCSE track. (Microsoft is a member of CompTIA.) If you have followed the course I’ve just laid out, you have now fulfilled all the requirements for MCSE status and have earned that certification as well.

These six exams maximize your route through the process and earn you four certifications to put on your business cards. For more information on the Network+ exam, which was scheduled to go live at the end of April, see www.ds-technical.com/ ems.html.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

while there are different ways & combinations of exams you can give to gain your MSCE cert, I was thinking about what would be best :hhhmmm, I have got the N+ cert and currently studying for MCDST
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Where did that come from? :blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. madskillz

madskillz Nibble Poster

"Let's do the time warp again!!"

Madz

ps what the hell is an msce?

Certifications: MCSA, MCDST, ITIL v3 F
    WIP: 70-293
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

First of all, I thought this was :spam and about to ban. But then I saw your post count, so giving you the benefit of the doubt here :twisted:

Anyway... That information is way out of date, just check out the exams - they don't exist anymore. If you want the most up to date info, go to the source... Microsoft's site.

From here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Thank goodness for that.

I thought NT was making a comeback!

:eek:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What would be best is to do the following:
    1) Finish up your MCDST
    2) Gain about a half-year of experience administering servers
    3) Get the MCSA while doing #4
    4) Gain another half-year of experience administering servers, particularly with regards to advanced AD topics
    5) Get the MCSE, selecting exams that are relevant to your experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

First of all sorry about the MSCE instead of MCSE ..

Thanks for your comments, ok I did think of NT but the post was only a couple of months old, so basically this guy how posted this on the internet is maybe living in the historic times.
    ~~BM thanks for the guidelines :p
    ~~Ken I was not trying to cause any trouble here.. just wanted your opinions on this & my sincerely apologies :rolleyes: feel a bit like :behead :(
    hope it all gets better .........

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri