mscdt - 70-271, 70-272

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by lowfive, May 21, 2011.

1. lowfive

lowfive New Member

hello
    i was wondering if anyone recently had taken these exams... do you know how long you have for the exams, how many questions, what the pass mark is, what are the questions like? lots of questions i know - but just trying to get an idea of what the exam will be like!!

thanks.:D

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The exams are being retire June 30th so you must pass them both by then.

As with all Microsoft exams the pass mark is 700

If I remember correctly you get 2.5hours to complete the exam which includes a tutorial on how to use the prometric system and some questionnaire at the end.

The questions are multiple choice. you get a scenario and then four or five possible answers where one or some of the answers are part of the answer. You will be told if there is more than one choice that makes up the answer.

The best books for it are the MS press books

You do not know how the questions are scored because this information isn't made public

You can mark your questiones for review so when you get to end of the test you can go back to those questions you were not sure about.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Actually, the 2.5 hours should not include the tutorial. At least that's what i was told when I took the exam in March.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  4. greenbrucelee

pretty sure is was 2.5 hours might have been 3 though.

5. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

I sat the 271 last tuesday and my timelimit was 2hrs, i thought this was strange as on my booking form it said 2 and 1/2hrs.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  6. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

The main thing to remember is that your time taking the tutorial and the survey do not take away from your total exam time. That's what I meant to convey.

7. lowfive

lowfive New Member

thanks everyone for the info here - much appreciated. :D

8. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Is there a fixed number of questions?

9. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

There isn't a fixed number on the questions. They could throw any number of questions, tbh. I've seen estimates of 40-60 from different people. I believe I got around mid 40s when I took my exam... maybe more, but can't remember at this time. At the end of the day, you'll want to make sure that you have a good grasp of the materials in the exam. If you know the materials, it shouldn't matter the amount of questions. If time is a worry, I personally felt that I was given more than enough time to complete the exam. If you get stuck on a question you have the option to mark for review, and come back to that question later. Preparation is key!

10. greenbrucelee

I got 45 for both of mine but a collegue of mine got 45 for the first one and 61 for the second one.

11. dingy

dingy Bit Poster

I got 54 on the 70/272 but there is tons of time, I reviewed almost all the questions and still had plenty of time left at the end.

Certifications: A+,N+,MCDST
    WIP: Relax
  12. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

I just took my 272, I had 170 mins in total (including tutorial etc); 140 mins for the exam proper. On my 271 I ran out of time, on my 272 I finished with 30 mins to spare.

My advice would be to concentrate on getting the knowledge and not to even think about the format of the exams. If you know your stuff then it won't matter what they throw at you in the exam, you'll pass anyway :D

WIP: CCNA