Msc in the networking related fields

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by bash55o, Apr 21, 2009.

1. bash55o

bash55o New Member

Hi, I am almost done with my CCNA. I was looking at London Metropolitan Universities website and noted that they have some interesting Msc's on offer related to networking and IT. I plan on going for a career in IT security. My question is, is it better to do the Msc or just do the different professional courses available? Which would a potential employer be more interested in? Thanks for the help.:joker

Certifications: None
    WIP: CCNA, CCNP
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

What I've noticed is it depends on what level you are in/going for. Having a MSc, in general, is not going to help you get your foot in the door - unless you get graduate placement as soon as you finish your degree (whether it's the BSc or MSc). MSc's are more required for upper management rather than 1st & 2nd line support, that's not to say "not to do it".

Added to that, I would also say don't do every professional course under the sun. Be aware that there is a saying "Over qualified on paper, under qualified with experience".

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. bash55o

bash55o New Member

Thanks wagnerk.

Certifications: None
    WIP: CCNA, CCNP