MS Word: safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

My colleague tried to open MS Word and it crashed and kept coming up with errors then reverting to Safe mode.

I advised him to try deleting normal.dot

He's done this and now doesn't get any errors...but it goes straight into safe mode still.

He hasn't rebooted so i've asked him to when able to...but any changes i've made with normal.dot in the past seem to be picked up straight away with no need to do a reboot...

Does anyone know of any flags etc that need to be removed?

My colleague has advised that this error occured immediately after he installed Acrobat 8 professional...any ideas...

I could just re-install Word but would like to know why this is happening if possible!:D

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Are you sure the winword.exe process is stopping when Word is closed? It may just still be picking up the safe session...

... the only other thing I would check is alternate-clicking his icon and in the run path, ensure the /safe switch isn't on Word.

Get him to reboot the damn machine :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

What the lovely lady said. Just reinstall/repair word from Control Panel, check the switch on the shortcut. Reboot the PC then drink coffee.

:)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Cheers for that. Yas, winword.exe had stopped running.

He's tied - up with something at the mo and i'm popping out to a customer to do some training so have told him to just reboot as soon as he's got a moment :D

5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Lol! :biggrin

Forgot to mention that we'd tried it and the repair hadn't worked...

6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

After starting word can you disable all 3rd party plugins and then try again?

Just wondering if Acrobat 8 professional has added a toolbar or something like that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Good point!!

Been at customer site this afternoon so not sure if this is still a problem or not.
    Will try that tomorrow morning before re-installing (if still an issue)!

Thank you!

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Check for disabled items
    Help > About > Disabled items

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Leehaa,

Which version of Word?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

This problem is sorted. I logged in first thing and had a play around...

...problem is that it was before I had woken up properly and colleague has literally only just tested it under his profile... so I can't remember what I did lol.

It didn't require a re-installation...

...had done a few things (when logged in as admin) to the toolbar settings...and you can now see some adobe ones when logged in, so probably something to do with that....so cheers Sparky 8)