MS Word 2000 is wierd (and annoying!)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cartman, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Hi all - here's a good one for you. Problem with Word 2000. I run Win2K Pro and have an odd problem with Word not recognising any of the installed fonts. I have tried making sure the fonts are OK - every other app seems to recognise them (including ironically Excel and Powerpoint!). I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling Word via the rather offputting MS installer - that doesn't work either. Anyone ever come across this?

Dave.

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Cartman, is your default printer set to a real print driver and not just the fax printer? apparently this can cause the symptoms you're describing.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Nice one Phil - dunno if you might have something there, I WAS messing around with a fax printer (for exam purposes - not for real) - and I don't have a printer (how does MS put it - a PRINT DEVICE - lol).

However I have deleted the fax printer and doesn't seem to have solved it, and like I said I don't actually have a printer at all... :-(

Dave.

4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Have you tried installing any old printer driver? I think word gets its fonts from the printer driver so installing one should give you some fonts.

5. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Phil - you're a star! Thats done the trick - so apparently Word is the only app that 'thinks' that way, coz Excel and Powerpoint were OK.

Bill Gates has a lot to answer for!

6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

:D The wonderful world of microsoft, god bless uncle Bill :P

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

What a strange problem.One for the memory banks I think.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That which we call a "printer"...the machine...is technically refered to as a "print device". The "printer" is more the software entity...that which actually enables printing. Hard to get used to, I know.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Dare I even begin to go down the Boot Partition / System Partition avenue :?:

The lengths MS go down to "explain" that the System partition is actually the one the holds the boot files, and the Boot Partition is the one that doesn't, I think is truly laughable !!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Nice one - *grinz* Maybe we should start a thread listing all the things that MS preach which make no sense in the real world!

Maybe not - might overload the board!! :funfun

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity