MS vs Testking - latest news

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, May 10, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Bill's Retired from MS mate, well that's what it says in the Microsoft Mag8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Sorry mate, I disagree 100% regarding Transcender. MeasureUp I can't comment on, because I've never used their stuff. I HAVE used Transcenders however, for a few exams I've sat and, apart from one question on my SQL Design exam which was eerily similar to a question I had on the real thing, I've never seen ANY braindump questions on them. Not one. I'm sure people here would back me up on that as well.

Like I said, MeasureUp I've got no idea about, but Transcenders definitely are NOT braindump material.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Quoted for truth 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Nobody's saying anything about Cisco, though. What about them ? This isn't just about Microsoft. How can TestKing become a legit company if they're still making Cisco braindumps ? WTF !

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I think this is the only time I have ever been pleased to see Microsoft's legal team actually win!! :biggrin

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Regardless of whether or not people will start to trust/use them as proper training material for MS exams this move will increase the value of our MS certs and decrease job adverts for entry level positions (eg helpdesk) that require MCSA's/MCSE's, imo.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I suppose it's a step in the right direction, but I can't really get excited about it.

It will just rear its head again somewhere with a different name.

If Tesking are smart, they'll launch a new company doing the same thing with a different logo. If they are daft, they'll just leave a big hole in the market for someone else to fill.

Look what happened with Napster.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I agree it's a great move, but like JonnyMx said, it is only common sense and a matter of time before someone fills the void.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  9. Crito

Crito Banned

[​IMG]

I have the exact opposite opinion.

I've seen people with zero experience become MCSE's on NT 4.0 using nothing but Transcenders. Maybe they've changed their ways since then, but that's how I remember it.

On the other hand, I got my MeasureUp CD directly from CompTIA as part of their training package. As you can see from the picture, it was produced by Thomson, the people affiliated with Prometric who administer the actual test. So if MeauseUp is a braindump then the WHOLE CERTIFICATION INDUSTRY must be "in" on it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The Certification is, and will always be, only as good as the person who holds it. :whatthink

11. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I don't get it. Testking signs an agreement with microsoft and suddenly they're legit. But what about other certs though. What about cisco ? How can testking suddenly become legit if the agreement doesn't prohibit them from braindumping cisco ? There is something wrong with this picture.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Can't say it any better than that!

There is a very fine line there. Exam sponsors are keen to 'preserve the validity' of their exams so that holding one can be seen as worth while across the industry.

However, these sponsors are often product vendors first an foremost so the more people out there wearing their logos and using their products the better. So it's not really surprising that they may turn a blind eye to some goings on.

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Headache - Maybe you should wait for the outcome of Microsoft and testking.

Who knows if it does stop testking from using BD's for MS exams then maybe Cisco and Comptia will follow.

JonnyMX - Napster did dissapear for a while becuase they were taken to court over illegal copying, but they returned and became legit and look how succesful Napster has become. Sponsoring programs on Sky!8)

14. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

That's my view exactly Mitz, legit or no they have a lot to do to convince me (and many others) to 'trust' the TK name and its products.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

True enough - but the point is, did it rid the world of dodgy music downloads?
    8)

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

No!

Speaking of dodgy music downloads, I wonder how many people downloaded the crazy frog song:dry

There's even a web page on wikki:-

Crazy Frog :x

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...don't hold yer breath. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. BosonMichael

They're currently selling product right now. And I'd betcha it's not legit...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  19. BosonMichael

So you're calling my integrity into question? The questions I created for Transcender (and that I currently create for Boson) are developed from scratch... not a "differently worded" question.

20. BosonMichael

Exactly. And CompTIA, Sun, Oracle, among countless others.

If they had people who could develop quality content, they'd not have had to steal the content from Microsoft and others. As far as I'm concerned, they'll never be legit... and any products of theirs that "become" legit (again, don't hold your breath) were funded through ill-gotten gains.