MS Virtual PC Advice

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by anthony micallef, Sep 2, 2009.

1. anthony micallef

anthony micallef Bit Poster

Im currently studying for the 290 exam and have installed a W2003 Virtual Machine on my laptop called Server01 using the evaluation disc that came with the MS Press book. Now if I want to install another VM called Server02 do I just install it in the same way? Im just wondering what happens in terms of having to re use the product key etc.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I use virtual pc and have win2k3 3 copies of xp and ubuntu and have them all networked together all you do is create a new VHD (virtual hard disk).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. anthony micallef

Thank you for your help, server02 now installed.

4. anthony micallef

I have installed Server02 but for some reason I cannot get it to connect to the domain. I have a Server01 installed as a DC and a DNS server. I can ping server02 by name so Im not sure whats going wrong. Can anyone give me some suggestions please?

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Have you added the Server name into Active Directory as a Computer?

Have you joined the Server to the Domain?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Make sure server02 is pointing to server01 for DNS.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

What does NSLOOKUP say if you query for something like type=srv?

For simplicity's sake (and I think it would be the case for your lab), you need to ensure the primary DNS on server2 is the same IP as that seen on server1.

Then you need to go on server2, open a CMD prompt, type nslookup followed by type=srv and post the results here. It should look similar to this:

C:\nslookup
    Default Server: server1.contoso.com
    Address: 192.126.1.20
    set type=srv
    _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.contoso.com
    Server: server1.contoso.com
    Address: 192.168.1.20
    _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.contoso.com SRV service location:
    priority = 0
    weight = 0
    port = 389
    svr hostname = server1.contoso.com
    server1.contoso.com internet address = 192.168.1.20

If it is, then you should be able to join this server to the domain (contoso.com in my case) by filling in the FQDN and giving the appropriate credentials in order to do. Pre-creating the computer object in the domain is optional.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. anthony micallef

Thank you for your advice, I will try that in the morning and post the results.

9. anthony micallef

Well I've run nslookup type=srv on Server02 I get this:

Server: 02wirelessbox.lan
    Address: 192.168.1.254

Now this is obviously my internet router details. Do I need to perhaps give each machine in my lab a static IP so that I take this router out of the equation? Any advice you can give would be great as I'm a bit stuck as to what to do.

10. anthony micallef

Sorry I've only just seen this. How do I do that then?

11. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Make sure you have Server01 set up for DNS (use 'Manage Your Server') and note down Server01's IP address.

Go into the Internet Protocol TCP/IP properties for the network connection on Server02 and change the 'Preferred DNS' IP to the IP address of Server01 (presumably 192.168.0.1)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  12. Shinigami

Whilst you can use a third party DNS server in an AD environment (such as BIND or even some routers), I'm not sure your wireless router will understand the records required by Microsoft based Directory Services to function correctly (i.e. entires with underscores in them). I'm not sure you're even able to manually add these to the router.

So yes, you're going to want to add a static IP to your DC, you'll want to install DNS locally, and you'll want to create the zone for your domain and make the DC point to itself DNS wise.

13. Shinigami

You might want to start from scratch and maybe re-read any study material you have in order to do this lab with test with a little more precision. Alternatively, get some new study material if the current one isn't precise enough for your needs. It's a big step to learn this stuff right the first time around, but once you do, the pieces of the puzzle slowly fall in place.

14. Shinigami

Strange, second time it happens to me... trying to write my post doesn't want to save it. The forum just keeps hanging, and hanging...

I had to post my message above in two separate messages in order for it to save the text.

AAAADMIIIN, what's going on :) ?

15. anthony micallef

Thanks for all your suggestions, I have tried again this morning and have managed to successfully join server02 to the domain.

By the way every time I log in to this forum it doesnt seem to recognise my details 1st time around as when I go to reply to a thread it asks me to log in again!

16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Clear your cookies and temporary files.

Are you using IE? this always happens to me at work when I log on here but not with FF at home.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. anthony micallef

Thanks for that, Ill give it a go.

18. Pauld

Pauld Bit Poster

Probably too late now but here is a video of how to set up a two virtual machines to connect to each other

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread35528.html

Certifications: PostGrad in IT, A+, N+,70-270, 70-290
    WIP: Taking a rest!
  19. bizexpert

bizexpert New Member

I need to run VMs from Microsoft which were built for Virtual PC. I have VMWare server (GSX) installed already on my computer. I don't intend to run them simutaneously. Is there any compatibility issues if I install VPC?