MS To Offer Free Windows 7 Upgrade To Vista Users

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

MS To Offer Free Windows 7 Upgrade To Vista Users (limitations applied)

The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program Rev. 2.1

The Windows 7 Upgrade Program is designed to assist Microsoft's OEM partners in minimizing the number of end users who may postpone acquiring a new computer because of the impending release of the Windows 7 operating system. This program allows OEMs to offer an upgrade to Windows 7 to end users who qualify.

This is a consumer-oriented program targeted at individual consumers and small businesses that have purchased eligible PCs during the Program Eligibility Period. End users will have to meet these requirements to be deemed eligible for the upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released:

End users must purchase a new PC that is pre-installed with an eligible Windows Vista Operating System (OS), during the program eligibility window.

The PC must have a valid Certificate of Authenticity (COA) attached.

The only Windows Vista® versions eligible for the program are:

1. Windows Vista® Home Premium
    2. Windows Vista® Business
    3. Windows Vista® Ultimate

* Microsoft Windows Vista® Home Basic, Windows Vista® Starter Edition, and Windows® XP (all editions) are not qualifying products under the program.

Read the rest of the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. NightWalker
      NightWalker
      MS did the same with Vista when it was released.
    2. Evilwheato
      Evilwheato
      I could see this coming ^^
    3. michael78
      michael78
      Anyone else not feel a little bit ripped off buying Vista (especially it's pathetic Media Center) with Windows 7 coming out only a few years after Vista was released it just feels like a half arsed rush to get the next cash cow out the window.
    4. Qs
      Qs
      MS always do this... I don't know why you're surprised.

Qs
    5. michael78
      michael78
      I think Microsoft have really dropped the ball on this one. How different can Windows 7 really be from Vista given the time that they have had to develop it. Really this should of been released as a service pack. I bought Vista to install on my Media Centre PC and the software is poor and thats me being nice as it's now nothing more than a glorified picture viewer and music player. Microsoft are just sticking a new coat of paint onto Vista and calling it Windows 7. I image a lot of people who bought Vista Ultimate won't be making the same mistake twice this time around. Microsoft should of developed Vista instead of shafting people like this.
    6. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Nope, I don't. Course, the only Vista versions I have either came preinstalled or were given to me. That said, even if I had paid for it, I would have gotten value out my purchase. In spite of all the FUD out there, I haven't had problems with Vista (except getting used to the interface).
    7. BosonJosh
      BosonJosh
      No, I don't feel ripped off about Vista, but I've also never purchased a copy directly. Like Michael, I've received Vista for free or as part of a new computer purchase. In my opinion, Vista's not a bad OS when you get it working. Unfortunately, I've had problems with every Vista install I've done since it came out of Beta. I think I've finally resolved those issues, but it would have been nice if my move to Vista was smoother.

Sure, there's plenty of FUD out there about Vista, but there's also plenty of legitimate issues with Vista since it was released. Microsoft has certainly made about as many mistakes as they could have made with Vista. All that being said, with any significant upgrade, there are going to be issues. My personal opinion is that MS is looking to put Vista behind them as fast as possible.
    8. michael78
      michael78
      Well yeah it would be pretty hard to feel ripped off if you got it for free. I think what Microsoft has done with Vista is despicable. Microsoft seem to not be bothered to see this out and instead of improving Vista to make it the OS that people want their plan is to ditch it and release another Windows. They may as well call Windows 7 Windows Vista+. I don't think that is good enough to be honest especially if you have paid a lot for Vista (Which was severely overpriced anyways).
    9. BosonJosh
      BosonJosh
      I won't disagree that retail copies of Vista were overpriced. However, I do disagree with the statement that MS isn't continually updating Vista. They've released SP1 and release updates all the time via Windows Updates. While I think they'll be happy to put Vista behind them, I don't think they're ditching Vista for Windows 7. Windows 98 was released roughly two years before Windows 2000, and they supported Windows 98 for years after 2000 was released. Windows 7 will be released almost three years from the time Vista was first released, and I'm certain that Vista will be supported for a number of years to come.
    10. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      The one thing they didn't update was the extras that were supposed to come with Windows Vista Ultimate. That said, you do get ALL of the bells and whistles (both the home and the business stuff) with Ultimate.