MS PRESS Vs SYBEX

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by darrenwis, Mar 1, 2009.

1. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Hi,

I've read through a few of the forums and heard some people saying these books don't cover what is in the exam etc, so I am looking to find out which one is the best to learn from and why?

I plan to buy the book in the next day or so...

Thanks,
    Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It's not that these books do not cover the exam(s), there are some things that the books do not cover as Microsoft does expect you to have experience with the technologies that you're being tested on.

Me personnally I use at least 2 books when studying for an exam, a CBT if I can get one, plus practice exams - to make sure I understand the concepts, as well as the experience using the technology.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

I like the Microsoft Press for MCDST. No one book is going to prepare you for all the questions in an exam as there are too many questions and scenarios to cover.

You need to uderstand the concepts, which for those of us in the real world we still have to refer to a resource like the books or this site for a couple of examples. Nothing beats the books for understanding the concepts.

For the exams prep you need to get som sim software like Transcender to get you prepared for the exams. Again the concepts on why an answer is correct and why the other answers are incorrect (more so than the answer of the questions).

Rock on!:rocks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  4. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I use minimum of 2 book's usually MS press and sybex. I have used the examcram books in the past too, which are ok.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  5. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

For me the MS books works better. But this is individual preference. Beside books I read a lot of articles and the most important I do plenty of labs from the MS books. I use for this Virtual Box where I have got installed Windows XP and Windows 7. While I am learning XP I look what is different at the same field in Windows 7.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+