MS press book done, the next step?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by karan1337, Jun 30, 2010.

1. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

I've completed reading the MS press book 70-271, taking regular notes and completing review questions. I used vmware on vista x64.

However, after revising once, i gave a transcender test and scored 73%

After 2 days, i gave a measure up test and scored 34%

The measure up test has put me in a low confidence state. '

I'm currently going through CBT Nuggets video series and along with that revising my notes according to the ongoing video. I still have a Sybex Guide waiting for my attention. But i'm confused what to do to finish up and actually sit for the exam in the middle of July.

Please suggest any other material/test/video that i should take up to complete my preparation and also to boost some confidence. Existing MCDST's can also point out the difficulty level of transcender, measure up and ucertify.

Thanks a lot in advance for your advises :)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Usually the Measureup test prep is harder than Transcender and Preplogic mock test. However, judging from your post you seem to be doing the right thing, just get through Measureup and go over your weak areas.

Best wishes and keep on working hard at it as the real exam wouldn't be as hard as the test mock Measureup judging from my experience. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

In my opinion, uCertify isn't even in the same league as Transcender and MeasureUp.

BosonJosh wrote the original MCDST exams for Transcender; however, I am not sure whether SelfTest kept his content or replaced it with their own.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Thanks for suggestions! Cheerio onoski :)

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The Trancender exams I had for the MCDST were good. Not sure about ucertify but I did once download a demo for their A+ exam and thought it was crap and the A+ one I used from transcender was good if you could get past the spelling mistakes. But the MCDST one I had was great and no spelling mistakes :)

Have a look at trainsignal and dont burn yourself out studying shedloads of material because one bad exam result.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Ok, will try my best!

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Funny, I found the transcender exams for the 290 really hard and measureup pretty easy.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Norton Dev

Norton Dev New Member

Hi Karan1337,

Could you suggest me, I have win vista installed on my dell laptop (34 bit) which "vmware" will help me to run my MS press learning cd ( which I have got with my MCDST book) as I don't have win xp pro.

Pls let me know

Certifications: BA
    WIP: MCDST
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Try running it in compatibility mode..

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/75909-compatibility-mode.html

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster