MS Entire Network...

Discussion in 'Software' started by ste28, Feb 7, 2008.

1. ste28

ste28 Nibble Poster

Hi Guys

Just a quick question

If i go into "My Network Places \ Entire Network \ MS Windows Network" i see aload of domains and computers which are not all trusted domains within my domain.
    What do all these objects signify ? and how does it retrieve this information ??

Thanks

Steve

Certifications: MCSE 2003
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

They could be PCs on the network that have other domains and workgroups which are (or were) logged onto the network. In many cases they don't need to be logged on, just connected.

The info is found as part of normal NetBIOS/CIFS protocols (try the utility nbtstat)

This info often hangs around long after the machine has disconnected from the network!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ste28

ste28 Nibble Poster

Any way of removing them ?

4. hbroomhall

Removing what specificaly?

I believe there are ways of flushing the browse master and local caches, but I'm not sure why you would want to. In addition, messing with the browse master could make the network difficult to work with for quite some time while it re-aquired info.

Harry.

5. ste28

ste28 Nibble Poster

Remove the list of workgroups / domains which no longer exist from My Network Places \ Entire Network \ MS Windows Network"

6. hbroomhall

This will depend on the mix of OSes/machines/settings on the network.

First you need to determine if these are genuinely not on the network. Somebody bringing in a laptop from home, or a salesman from another office, can cause these to appear. So if you *did* manage to remove them they would just reappear.

I've seen comments that the only way to clear out some entries is to shut every machine on the network down at the same time then, when rebooting, flush the local cache. This would cause a *lot* of disruption, as the browse system can take the most part of an hour to be fully functional again.

Harry.