MS Config query

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 26, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

In MS Config if you go to the boot tab and advanced you can select windows to use 2 cores (providing you have two cores) during boot which makes bootup a bit quicker.

I discovered this tonight but my query is because Windows is set to boot in selective mode does this stop any drivers etc from loading?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

http://www.withinwindows.com/2008/0...rformance-for-multi-core-users-with-msconfig/

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

a quick google search turned up no less that 4 sites on the first page debunking this myth, of which that link was only one. I stopped looking after that.

Besides, it could just be a spurious relationship. Just because it was a faster boot after you enabled the option does not mean that the change caused it. A computer is a very complex piece of equipment (in both the hardware and software). Any number of things could cause a change in the boot time.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present