MS Cert Question...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by steveh2001, Apr 9, 2007.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hey guys - this question has probably been asked before but I couldnt find it in the search...

MS Certs and MCDST in particular - do they last forever like ComptTIA certs, or do they expire after for example 2 years and you have to retake etc?

Many thanks!

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

As far as im aware they expire at some point.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Individual exams are eventually retired, but the certifications do not expire. Once you are an MCDST on Windows XP, you are always an MCDST on Windows XP. You do not have to recertify.

That said, if you don't continually pursue certification for each new release, you will become as obsolete as the technologies you can support. Every little advantage helps.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

They dont expire but in time some exams get retired. For example the MCSE on Windows NT has been retired (therefore no-one can take the exams) however peeps who have the cert are still certified as MCSE on Windows NT. 8)

Edit: Mike beat me to it!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Ahhh ok that makes sense - and also sounds good. I understand that we need to carry on pursuing the latest certs etc (which I will be doing :D) but it would be a pain to have to keep the current ones "active".

Many thanks!

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

By mere seconds. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm sure I read somewhere that some of the new MS certs require 'recertification' - but I haven't seen how often...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MCTS - Will be retired when mainstream product support for the particular technology expires.

The MCITP - Require recertification to maintain active status

See here.

The MCITP - The Professional Series certifications will require recertification every three years from the date of issue.

See here under the "Will the new certification expire?" question.

Hope this helps.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security