MP3 Ripping

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jakamoko, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any free downloadable software for ripping MP3s from my CDs ?

I got Winamp free version tonight, which works OK, but the trial version restricts you to 2x ripping - which is damn slow even for a free package. So can anyone suggest any that are free, but do not have speed restrictions on them ?

Cheers Guys :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

use CDex

it has numerous options (I reccomend 192kbps MP3s)
    it also connects to CDDB to download track titles and stuff to fill in for you, and allows you to customise how the file will be named ie. (%n - %a %t coul be 01 - Heaven Chemestry - Little by Little.mp3)

its free, think you get it from cdex.sourceforge.net

but try a google search for cdex

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I trust you own the CD Jak?

CDex is pretty good, I've not used the latest versions but found it good in the past.

EDIT: beat me to it Ryan :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I have no reasons to ask about this other than I want to do a "best of" of all my CDs (and poss LPs too at some stage). Basically, I need /want to get rid of a load of junk lying around, so if a large part (inc many LPs) could be stored as MP3s on a network share, then my ancient laptop instantly becomes a jukebox for the whole lot :D

Will have a look at CDex shortly - thanks for that, Guys:)

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That's what he said Si. I trust him[​IMG]. Rock on.

Ice cold Vb comin' at ya Jak *toss*

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

*Catch* Da Man 8)

Be assured, Nugg - there is a fair old proportion of Midnight Oil, AC/DC, INXS, Absent Friends and even Rolf Horris potentially involved here - I', gonna need many more VBs before THIS task is done :blink :cry:

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You're going to need a truckload of VB if you listen to Rolf Harris my friend. Seriously though, I did the same with my collection. I bought an mp3 player a little while ago (Creative Jukebox) and used the software that came with it so I don't need anything else. Now I have my cd collection in the attic.[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Ok so at a risk of stealing the thread, how do I tranform my LP's (pride and joys :oops: ) and put them onto CD's.

Bearing in mind that the cd player in the other end of the room?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I have a Creative Nomad Zen (hard drive based MP3 player) which I have had for many years now lol, its great

I lost the majority of my CD collection when my ex kept them all, but atleast i had them backed up to mp3 lol

im thinking of making nother major migration to ogg soon, as its open source unlike mp3 (i did my migration over 4 years ago)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hey I never said I didnt trust you. But after reading the Rolf Harris part I'm not sure I can now. :confused3

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey, we all have some skeletons tucked away, right ? :oops:

Thanks guys - CDex worked a dream, lightening fast. Cheers for that.

@AJ, shouldn't be a prob recording your LP's - just plug a turntable into your sound card, and Windows recorder (or any other recording software) will do the rest for you. One tip - try to keep the lead from the turntable as short as poss - if you use too long a lead, the signal loss will mean the quality wont be worth a button.

HTH :D

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I was wondering does CDex work with tapes aswell? I have a lot of songs on the old cassettes and was wondering if these can also be copied onto CD or my HDD...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Wouldn't have thought so initially, Noel - but if you use the same thing I said above to record them, that'll work. Then once you have them in digital format, you'll be able to bang them onto CD mate. :D