Moving Windows 7 to a new SATA drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Aug 7, 2011.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Since I have a fully licensed copy of True Image, I can download the ISO of the recovery disc from their site. Burned it to disc this morning but will have to wait until I get home tonight to try it out. This little adventure is going to make an interesting tutorial/product review on my blog in a few days.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Well, that wasn't easy, but I finally got the OS partition cloned to the larger SATA drive. The recovery disc was next to useless, but I'm too tired to go into the details now. I'll write a review and post a link in the next day or so. I'll also be sure to post it on the Acronis forums. Their documentation leaves something to be desired (and I should know).

Bottom line is all's well that ends well. Think I'll do a little light reading and then get back to serious writing and editing tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and support through this trial. Barring any unforeseen difficulties, it should be smooth sailing from here.

Cheers.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

As promised, a full description of my adventures cloning a hard drive using Acronis True Image, chronicled on my blog: Cloning a Hard Drive with Acronis True Image Home 2011.

I had originally meant to write this as a tutorial, but it ended up being more of a product review. I'm sure the folks at Acronis won't be pleased.